You are reading

Long Island City Man Who Raped Woman in Sunnyside Sentenced to 12-Years in Prison

Matthew Luna (NYPD)

Aug. 20, 2020 By Christian Murray

A Long Island City man who raped a woman near Skillman Avenue in Sunnyside last year was sentenced to 12 years in prison, the Queens District Attorney announced today.

Matthew Luna, 27, who pleaded guilty to first-degree rape in January, sexually attacked a 20-year-old woman in the vicinity of Skillman Avenue and 54th Street at around 10:30 p.m. on Feb. 15, 2019.

Luna attacked the woman after he following her on foot after she got off a bus in Woodside.

When he caught up to her, he asked the victim for directions to a nearby subway station. He then told the young woman that she was pretty and asked for a hug.

The victim, startled, backed away from Luna, who allegedly grabbed her arms and uttered. “Just give me what I want so I don’t have to kill you,” the DA said.

Luna then struck the 20-year-old, shoved her against a parked car, ripped off her clothes from the waist down and sexually assaulted her. He then threw her to the ground and raped her.

The woman was taken to a local hospital, where she was treated for her injuries.

Luna was arrested three days, turning himself into police in a case that shook the neighborhood.

The defendant, according to the DA, surrendered after video surveillance and photos of him became widespread.

“It was a vicious, violent act that should never happen on our streets,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz in a statement.

Luna was sentenced to 12 years in prison to be followed by 10 years’ post release supervision. He is also required to register as a sex offender.

Video released by police on Matthew Luna days after the rape

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.