You are reading

Six People Caught Illegally Dumping in Liberty Park in July: DSNY

Cypress Hills Street and Vermont Place on July 7 (Facebook)

Aug. 24, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

The NYC Department of Sanitation caught six people carrying out illegal dumping in Liberty Park last month.

DSNY officers nabbed the offenders over a two week period following tip-offs from Council Member Bob Holden.

The agency began investigating the illegal activity after Holden came across piles of rubbish strewn out along Cypress Hills Street and Vermont Place on July 7.

DSNY said their officers caught several people pulling up to spots in the surrounding area and dumping their trash in the weeks that followed.

For example, DSNY agents observed a driver pull over on Cypress Hills Street on July 19 and dump one cubic yard of household waste onto the ground. The trash was stuffed into black bags and one of the bags contained a chandelier, the agency said.

Days later two people hopped out of a truck on Cypress Avenue and illegally dumped a mattress and a box spring onto a grass area, DSNY said.

In another incident on Cypress Avenue, a driver pulled in directly behind another car on July 28 and placed several black bags at a similar area, the agency said.

The agency thanked Council Member Holden for making them aware of the locations and urged residents to call 311 if they witness any illegal dumping.

Kathryn Garcia (via NYC Housing Authority)

“Now more than ever we depend on our partnership with City residents to help us keep the city clean,” Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia said in a statement.

“There’s even a reward program available with a financial award to the tipster,” Garcia said.

Vehicle owners caught illegally dumping can be fined as much as $20,000 and individuals who make the complaint can receive up to half of that amount as a reward, according to the DSNY.

Council Member Robert Holden said that illegal dumping has been a problem in the district for a very long time because there are a lot of open spaces at surrounding parks, cemeteries and railroad tracks.

Holden said that the COVID-19 pandemic and budget crisis have made matters even worse.

“I am grateful to Commissioner Garcia and the Sanitation Police Officers who have been responsive to our neighborhood’s complaints during this time,” Holden said.

“And I urge everyone to do their part to stop illegal dumping and respect our city,” he added.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.