You are reading

Petition Launched to Save Rego Park Synagogue and Diner from Demolition

Ohr Natan Synagogue, at 98-81 Queens Blvd. (Google Maps)

Sept. 14, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A Queens resident launched a petition Sunday to protect a Rego Park synagogue, a diner and a group of small businesses from the wrecking ball.

A developer who owns the triangular lot at 98-81 Queens Blvd. that includes Ohr Natan Synagogue, the Tower Diner and several small businesses wants to knock down the existing buildings to make way for a 16-story mixed-use building.

RJ Capital Holdings, under the name Trylon LLC, filed an application in June to rezone the property in order for it to construct the development that would feature 170 apartments and 118,000 square feet of commercial space. Forest Hills Post was first to report on the application last month.

Michael Conigliaro, who once ran against State Sen. Joseph Addabbo in District 15 as a Republican, launched the petition that calls on city officials to reject the rezoning application.

“This proposal must NOT be permitted, as it would also do immeasurable harm to the surrounding community by destroying historic buildings, removing small businesses with no guarantee of ever reopening, blocking light and air, & increasing traffic and congestion,” Conigliaro wrote in the petition.

The synagogue occupies the building that once was the historic Art Deco-styled Trylon Theater, which opened in 1939 and closed in 1999. It serves a congregation of roughly 1,000 members, mostly residents of Rego Park and Forest Hills.

The Tower Diner is housed in what was once a colonial bank building and still features a tall clock tower.

The proposed development would involve demolishing a block of buildings including the Tower Diner (Google Maps)

Nearby residents don’t want the historic buildings to be destroyed for an apartment complex. More than 100 people have signed the petition thus far.

“This is one of the most cultural, social, significant, historical, and architectural sites of the community and is on a list of other local sites that are currently endangered or have already been demolished,” Conigliaro said in the petition. “These sites are unofficial landmarks, which are about to be lost forever.”

RJ Capital Holdings has promised to provide space for the synagogue in the new building it constructs. The developers said they will reach out to additional tenants to see if they would be interested in renting space once the new development is completed as well.

The developers previously told the Queens Post that they aim to break ground in 2022, but the construction timeline is dependent on when the public review process (ULURP) can begin and how the process unfolds.

The developer is waiting on the Dept. of City Planning to certify the project in order for the public review process to take place.

The ULURP process typically takes seven months after the plans are certified by City Planning. The plans — as required by ULURP — will need to be reviewed by Community Board 6 and the Queens Borough President, and then be approved by the City Planning Commission and City Council.

Residents can weigh in on the proposal at public hearings during the review process and the City Council has the ultimate power to reject the application.

Trylon Rendering of the proposed development

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
COCED

If developer intends to provide space for the same congregation and small businesses, what is the problem?
Build it!

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.