You are reading

Community Compost Sites Back Up and Running in Queens

Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia shovels compost with Council Members Jimmy Van Bramer and Peter Koo at the Queensbridge Composting site (DSNY via Twitter)

Sept. 18, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Community compost and food scraps drop-off sites are back up and running in Queens after the sites were shuttered for months due to pandemic-related budget cuts.

The sites were reopened after the city’s executive budget restored $2.8 million to community composting for Fiscal Year 2021 last minute, the Department of Sanitation (DSNY) said earlier this month.

The funding allowed the Department to restart all of the NYC Compost Project mid-scale compost educational facilities, provide support to small compost sites and reopen some food scrap drop-off sites throughout the five boroughs.

Local Queens officials celebrated the reopening of the Queensbridge community composting site on Tuesday.

Council Members Peter Koo, Jimmy Van Bramer and Antonio Reynoso joined Acting Queens Borough President Sharon Lee and Sanitation Commissioner Kathryn Garcia in welcoming back the composting site.

“We are thrilled that funding was restored in the adopted budget to support our partners and to offer community-based solutions to our waste crisis,” Garcia said. “It’s been a tough year all around, but this restoration of funding has given us hope that our partners will be able to continue to do their crucial work in the long term.”

The compost educational facilities process food scraps and yard waste from drop offs and provide finished compost to community gardens. The facilities also offer tours and volunteer opportunities.

Open drop-off sites can be found on the DSNY website.

The department’s brown bin curbside composting program, however, remains suspended. The curbside collection of food scraps and yard waste is expected to remain shuttered through June 30, 2021.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.