You are reading

Police Arrest Bronx Man Who Assaulted Woodside Senior Who Was Walking to Church

The suspect and 43-14 60th St. (NYPD and Google Maps)

Sept. 22, 2020 By Christian Murray

The police have arrested a Bronx man who allegedly attacked and robbed a feisty 84-year-old man who was walking to St. Sebastian’s church in Woodside last month.

Angel Cruz, 46, was arrested for attacking the victim in front of 43-14 60th St. at around 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 2. He approached the Woodside senior citizen from behind and tried to steal his wallet from his pants pocket, according to police.

The senior, who was identified as Oliver Neligan by Pix11 News, told the TV outlet that he fought back and threw a cup of coffee at the attacker to fend him off.

“Then he grabbed me and I kind of wrestled with him, and we went down,” Neligan said, who was able to rip off Cruz’ face mask.

Neligan’s head hit a wall as he fell to the ground. He suffered a bump on his head, a cut on his elbow and bruised ribs, the outlet reported. He was not seriously injured.

The thief fled the scene with Neligan’s eyeglasses, police said. The suspect did not get his wallet.

Police released video footage of the suspect the following week.

Cruz was busted after police were able to match a sample of Cruz’ DNA from the mask taken from the scene of the crime, according to PIX11 News.

He was arrested Sept. 14 on 3 counts of robbery, assault and grand larceny, according to police.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
James

And people like this guy are exactly why the crime rate has skyrocketed in the city. When you let out all these perps and career criminals from Rikers, all they do is go right back to their old ways and the good and innocent citizens have to suffer because mayor debozo and other moronic lefties want to cater to criminals instead of hard working honest people.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.