You are reading

Jackson Heights Man Indicted for Murder in Stabbing Death of His Wife: DA

iStock

Oct. 8, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

A Queens man who allegedly stabbed his 45-year-old wife to death inside their Jackson Heights apartment has been indicted for murder.

Carmelo Mendoza, 41, allegedly killed Yaquelin Collado during the early hours of July 3 inside their 34th Road home after the pair got into a heated argument. He stabbed her multiple times in the chest, neck and torso, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

“This is the worst outcome of domestic violence, an argument that turned violent and deadly,” said Melinda Katz, Queens District Attorney.

“The defendant allegedly stabbed his wife more than two dozen times, as the victim’s 19-year-old daughter tried in vain to stop the brutal attack,” Katz said.

The couple had been arguing in the kitchen when the victim’s daughter heard her mother screaming and came from another room to help.

The 19-year-old discovered an enraged Mendoza stabbing her mother. She attempted to stop the attack by throwing objects at him and also tried to push him off of her, according to the charges.

Mendoza fell to the floor but got back up and continued to stab his wife. Collado then told her daughter in Spanish: “I’m dying, get out of here.”

Her daughter, who injured her leg as she tried to intervene, ran out of the apartment and began banging on her neighbors’ doors screaming for help.

The young woman then called 911 and when cops arrived she told them that Mendoza was still inside the apartment.

Inside, police found Mendoza on top of his wife who was lying in a pool of blood.

Mendoza allegedly stabbed himself numerous times in the abdomen, and cops found a kitchen knife nearby.

The couple were transferred to an area hospital where Collado was later pronounced dead. She had sustained around 27 knife wounds.

Mendoza was treated for self-inflicted wounds.

He was arraigned this afternoon on an indictment charging him with murder in the second degree, assault in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.

Supreme Court Justice Michael Aloise remanded Mendoza and set the return date for Nov. 17.

Mendoza faces up to 25 years-to-life in prison.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.