You are reading

Barry Grodenchik, Who Represents Eastern Queens in City Council, Announces That He Will Not Seek Re-election

Council Member Barry Grodenchik. (NYC City Council)

Oct. 14, 2020 By Christian Murray

Council Member Barry Grodenchik announced this morning that he will not seek re-election and will step down when his current term ends Dec. 31, 2021.

Grodenchik, who represents eastern Queens, is one of only four council members in Queens eligible to serve another term due to term limits.

His departure will mean that 12 of the 15 council seats in Queens are guaranteed to be represented by newcomers in 2022. Eleven council members in Queens will be forced to step down at the end of next year due to term limits.

Grodenchik, who is 60, said that his decision to not seek re-election was made after much deliberation.

“After much thought and reflection with family and friends, I have decided that it is time to put a period on this chapter of my life and retire from public service,” Grodenchik said in a statement posted to twitter. “Being a member of the council has been, and will continue to be, a hallmark of my public service career, which extends back more than a generation.”

Grodenchik, who has represented the 23rd Council District since he won a 2015 special election, has had a lengthy career in public service. He represented the Flushing area in the state assembly in 2003 and 2004, and was later the Queens Deputy Borough President from 2010 to 2013.

The council member was caught up in controversy last year when he was accused of having made unwanted advances and having inappropriate conversations with a female staffer. He later admitted  wrong doing and resigned from his chairmanship of the City Council Parks Committee.

Grodenchik, in announcing his decision not to seek reelection, thanked the people of his district and reflected on his time in office.

“In the council, it has been my honor to be a foremost advocate for feeding New Yorkers and for enhancing funding for our parks,” he said. “Locally, I have advanced the cause of education, including the building of over 2,600 new school seats.”

Grodenchik is lifelong Queens resident who grew up in NYCHA’s Pomonok Houses in Flushing.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.