You are reading

Local Officials Call on DOT to Improve Safety Along 24th Avenue Following Deliveryman’s Death

The area of the collision at 24th Avenue and 33rd Street where Mariano Canales was killed in September (Google Maps)

Oct. 16, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Local elected officials and safe street advocates are calling on the Department of Transportation (DOT) to mitigate traffic issues along a busy roadway in Astoria where a restaurant deliveryman recently lost his life.

The officials say a stretch of 24th Avenue near P.S. 85 is ridden with truck traffic, while another portion of the thoroughfare has been the site of serious crashes in recent years — most notably the death of 27-year-old deliveryman Mariano Canales on Sept. 23.

Canales was riding his scooter back to the restaurant where he worked along 24th Avenue when he crashed into a minivan that was crossing the block at 33rd Street. The Woodside resident was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital – Queens, but he couldn’t be saved.

Local leaders are calling on the DOT to do a traffic study of the block in light of Canales’ fatal crash.

Astoria Council Member Costa Constantinides penned a letter to DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg on Oct. 13 asking the agency to study 24th Avenue from 21st Street to 37th Street and add traffic-calming measures to protect pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.

“We must respond to a tragedy by preventing more from happening,” Constantinides wrote in the letter. “A traffic study of these 16 blocks could save an untold number of lives in the years ahead.”

Constantinides said Canales’ death was something nearby residents — himself included — worried would happen.

“Many people who live nearby, including myself, sadly worried when this would happen,” he said. “This particular stretch is a nightmare for pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers alike.”

Drivers crossing 24th Avenue have poor visibility due to parked cars and often have to drive beyond the stop sign to look for oncoming traffic, the council member wrote. He suggested removing parking spaces adjacent to crosswalks — a practice called daylighting — to mitigate the issue.

Constantinides also noted that 24th Avenue from 21st Street to 29th Street still serves as a dangerous truck route, despite efforts to improve truck traffic. He repeated the request he made last year that the DOT find an alternative route for trucks, given the path’s close proximity to P.S. 85.

The Astoria lawmaker was joined by area officials–Assembly Member Aravella Simotas, Senate Deputy Leader Michael Gianaris and Queens Community Board 1 Chair Marie Torniali as well as Transportation Alternatives and Families for Safe Streets–in calling on the DOT to make 24th Avenue safer.

Simotas called for justice for Canales and said the DOT should do the responsible thing by studying the roadway.

“Mariano Canales deserves justice,” she said in a statement. “Astoria’s pedestrians, bicyclists and drivers deserve safe streets and the DOT should meet its responsibility of studying 24th Avenue and making whatever changes are needed to prevent unnecessary, future tragedies.”

Juan Restrepo, Queens organizer for Transportation Alternatives, and Chana Widawski, an organizer for Families for Safe Streets supported Constantinides’ call for safety improvements in the aftermath of Canales’ death.

“The death of working cyclist Mario Canales was preventable, and we implore the city to take swift action to ensure this never happens again,” they said in a joint statement. “We know that improvements like daylighting street corners to improve visibility at intersections, creating protected bike lanes, and other vision zero measures are proven to reduce crashes and save lives.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.