You are reading

NYC to Receive 72,000 Doses of Vaccine, ‘Could Arrive as Early as This Weekend’: Cuomo

Gov. Andrew Cuomo says that 72,000 doses will be coming to NYC by next week at a press conference today Wednesday

Dec. 9, 2020 By Christian Murray

The first batch of the COVID-19 vaccine is expected to arrive in New York City by next week and Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today that a total of 72,000 doses are coming to the five boroughs.

Cuomo announced that the doses “could arrive as early as this weekend”—with nursing home residents and staff to get them first.

New York State will receive 170,000 doses that will be distributed by region. For instance, New York City will receive 72,000 doses, while Long Island will be allocated with 26,500 doses

Nursing homes will receive them first, followed by high-risk hospital workers—such as emergency room workers and ICU staff.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is expected to approve the Pfizer vaccine as soon Thursday.

Cuomo said that six million doses will be distributed around the country, although only half will be shipped out to begin with. The other half will be sent out in 21 days, which will be for the second dose that is required.

The governor said that a state panel would “immediately” conduct its own review of the vaccine after it is approved by the FDA. Once that quick review is complete, the vaccine would be approved for use.

Cuomo said that there are 90 regional distribution centers capable of ultra-cold storage.

The governor said steps had been taken to make sure that the identity of undocumented immigrants would not be disclosed.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Flores 360

Hopefully, it won’t be forced and it the amount of the vaccine administered will be enough to get us back on tract to normalcy, especially for all the post-secondary students who had their educational experiences taken away from them.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.