You are reading

Citi Field COVID-19 Vaccination Site Will Open in ‘a Matter of Days,’ de Blasio Says

Citi Field (Wikimedia Commons)

Feb. 5, 2021 By Allie Griffin

The COVID-19 vaccination site at Citi Field will open in “a matter of days,” Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Friday.

The 24/7 “megasite” was supposed to open the week of Jan. 25, but was delayed due to the city’s shortage of vaccines.

The ball field will have the capacity to vaccinate 5,000 to 7,000 New Yorkers each day once open.

While many Queens lawmakers welcome its impending arrival, critics argue that it will be of little use to many seniors. The stadium has limited public transit options and many seniors don’t drive.

Furthermore, its opening, they say, will not fill the void in northeast Queens, where there isn’t a single COVID-19 vaccination site.

There are zero sites in neighborhoods like Fresh Meadows, Bayside, Whitestone, Beechurst, Little Neck, Oakland Gardens, Glen Oaks and Douglaston, according to the city’s vaccinate site finder.

A map of COVID-19 vaccination sites, depicted as blue dots (nyc.gov/vaccinefinder)

Several elected officials representing northeast Queens pleaded with the city last month to open vaccine sites in their districts.

“We write to you expressing our concern and disappointment with the lack of vaccination sites in the districts we represent,” State Sen. John Liu; Assembly Members Nily Rozic and Edward Braunstein and Council Members Barry Grodenchik, Paul Vallone and Peter Koo wrote in a Jan. 12 letter to de Blasio.

The city hasn’t added any vaccine sites to the area since the letter and the impact is being felt in the communities.

A Fresh Meadows resident complained to de Blasio about the lack of vaccine sites on the Brian Lehrer show this morning.

Emil, a 69-year-old cancer survivor who didn’t reveal his last name, said he was forced to go to Long Island to get a vaccine appointment.

“Why do I have to travel 30 miles each way to go get an appointment for a vaccine when I live in New York City?” Emil asked de Blasio. “You mentioned that you opened up 17 pop-up centers throughout the city. None of them, none of them are in northeast Queens.”

De Blasio told Emil there are more sites coming, but didn’t specify when or where.

“I do want to make sure that folks in northeast Queens get served better,” he said. “There are more sites coming.”

De Blasio blamed the city’s inadequate supply of the COVID-19 vaccine for the lack of vaccine sites.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.