You are reading

Queens Taste 2020 Canceled Due To COVID-19

Queens Taste (Photo courtesy of Queens Taste)

May 6, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Queens Taste, the popular annual food-and-networking festival, has been canceled for 2020 due to issues pertaining to COVID-19.

The event had already been postponed from May 5 to Oct. 6 but organizers have decided to terminate the gathering for this year.

Safety concerns surrounding COVID-19 along with ongoing economic restrictions are posing too many challenges for organizers Queens Economic Development Corporation and Queens Tourism Council.

“We’re saddened by this decision, but there’s so much uncertainty that even holding it in the fall is not feasible,” QEDC Executive Director Seth Bornstein said.

Queens Taste has been an annual event since 2001 and was scheduled to take place at the New York Hall of Science in Flushing Meadows, Corona Park.

Last year, an estimated 500 people attended to sample cuisine from countries such as China, Colombia, Guyana, Haiti, India, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Thailand, Trinidad, and the Philippines.

Several dozen Queens-based restaurants and beverage purveyors were set to provide samples of their products to revelers and help generate much-needed revenue for the neighborhood.

“We were hoping to hold a triumphant, post-COVID affair and show off the borough’s businesses, but this disease is too dangerous,” added QTC Director Rob MacKay.

“It’s a shame, but we’ll be back,” he said.

QEDC has put together a document with information for businesses that may need assistance navigating the COVID-10 economic shutdown.

Experts are warning of impending economic carnage for small businesses in Queens over the coming months.

Tom Grech, president and CEO of the Queens Chamber of Commerce estimates that half of the bars and restaurants in Queens may not reopen. Grech made the startling revelation on the Queens Post podcast last weekend.

His evaluation is based on discussions the chamber has had with landlords, food suppliers and the restaurants themselves.

The full podcast with Grech can be viewed below.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.