You are reading

AOC and Schumer Launch Funeral Fund for Low-Income Families Who Lost a Loved One to Covid-19

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and U.S. Senator Charles Schumer (Wikimedia commons)

Feb. 8, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Chuck Schumer have announced that $260 million will be made available to cover funeral costs for low-income families who lost a loved one to COVID-19 last year.

On average, around $7,000 will be made available to the families of deceased New York coronavirus victims who could not afford to cover the costs associated with taking care of their remains, the lawmakers said at a joint press briefing in Corona Monday.

Payments will be available retroactively to the families of victims who died between Jan. 20, 2020, and Dec. 31, 2020–although Schumer said efforts are underway to ensure the program is in place for the remainder of the pandemic.

The legislators said the funds will be available via FEMA’s Disaster Funeral Assistance program — part of the agency’s $2 billion Disaster Relief Fund.

The congresswoman said many people of color– particularly those in low-income neighborhoods–have been hit hard by the virus and many have not had the means to pay for a family member’s funeral arrangements.

She said that thousands of people who were already stretched financially have had to find ways to pay for the death of a relative.

Ocasio-Cortez said that many of these people are undocumented immigrants. She said undocumented immigrants will be eligible to tap into the fund.

The congresswoman’s district includes the Elmhurst, Corona and Jackson Heights neighborhoods – which were once considered the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Many residents in the area have limited means and are new immigrants. Around 20 percent of Corona residents live below the poverty level, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The funds will cover casket costs, mortuary services, death certificates, and cremation or interment, the legislators said.

Schumer advised applicant families to work with the city, state and their funeral director to prepare the necessary paperwork.

Some of the documentation includes verifying the next of kin’s identity, his/her relationship to the deceased, a death certificate that lists the deceased’s death as related to COVID-19 and documentation of all costs associated with the family member’s funeral.

Schumer said that an online portal will be provided to submit documents and FEMA is setting up a call center where caseworkers will help residents with applications.

“The work now centers on making sure eligible families know this is happening and know how to access the funds—that’s why our next job is to get the word out,” Schumer said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.