You are reading

Dozens of Queens Council Candidates Pledge Not to Challenge Ballot Petitions

Julia Forman at a rally in Sunnyside Dec 2020 (Instagram)

Feb. 15, 2021 By Christina Santucci

A growing number of City Council candidates vying to get on the ballot in Queens have pledged not to contest the signatures gathered by their opponents– as they collectively look to reduce the potential spread of COVID-19.

All of the candidates vying for the 22nd Council seat currently held by Costa Costantinides — as well as at least 11 candidates seeking the 26th District seat occupied by Jimmy Van Bramer – have pledged not to challenge the signatures of the competitors, which they all need to appear on the ballot.

City Council candidates currently must collect 270 signatures from registered voters (Democrats if running in the Democratic primary) who live in the district in order to appear on the ballot. Typically, candidates running for office aim to gather at least twice the number of signatures required in case the validity of the signatures are contested by their opponents.

The candidates who have made the pledge say that collecting these signatures– that often requires going from door-to-door– puts the public at risk. By promising not to challenge the signatures, they believe it will put less pressure on candidates to go out and get well in excess of the 270 required, thereby reducing the health risk.

Julia Forman, who is running for District 26, released a statement Saturday, saying she and fellow candidates Amit Bagga, Jonathan Bailey, Tavo Bortoli, Glennis Gomez, Hailie Kim, Jesse Laymon, Brent O’Leary and Emily Sharpe have all pledged not to contest petitions. In addition, Julie Won and the campaign manager for Badrun Khan confirmed Sunday that they both would not object to opponents’ signatures.

Candidates can start getting signatures March 2, and petitions with the signatures must be filed with the board of elections from March 22 to 25.

Won also said she would like to further reduce in-person contact. She created a petition to lobby officials to allow signatures to be collected digitally, and supports bills in the state Assembly and Senate that would authorize the creation of an online petitioning system.

“Even if every candidate in our race collected the minimum number of signatures that would still put nearly 5,000 voters at risk,” Won said. There are 18 candidates vying for the 26th Council seat.

Meanwhile, all of the seven candidates for Astoria’s District 22 — Leonardo Bullaro, Tiffany Cabán, Edwin DeJesus, Catherina Gioino, Evie Hantzopoulos, Felicia Kalan and Nick Velkov — have said they will not contest signatures on petitions.

Cabán noted that her petitions had been challenged leading up to her unsuccessful bid for Queens district attorney in 2019. “It was undemocratic then, [and] it’s undemocratic now, especially in the midst of a pandemic,” she tweeted.

Previously, some political candidates, elected officials and community leaders have asked for petition requirements to be suspended entirely because of COVID-19 concerns. Although Gov. Andrew Cuomo lowered the number of signatures needed last month, some candidates said the measure was not enough.

Dozens penned a letter to Cuomo, Mayor Bill de Blasio and other political leaders on Jan. 27 calling on officials to cancel the signature requirements.

And more than 100 candidates and supporters also filed a lawsuit Feb. 8, saying that petition requirements for the June primary were unconstitutional due to health risks.

Van Bramer, who is running for Queens borough president, and Council candidates Hantzopoulos, Kim, Laymon, Maruf, and Sharpe – as well as Andrew Sokolof, who is gathering signatures for Carolyn Tran, Tiffany Cabán, and Juan Ardila — are plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

The suit argues that the process would violate a part of the constitution requiring New York to provide for “the protection and promotion of the health of the inhabitants of the state.” The document also asks the court to force the defendants – Cuomo and de Blasio – to figure out an “alternative, constitutionally sound method” to be created for certifying candidacies.

Forman said she hopes more political candidates promise not to contest opponents’ petitions – to lessen in-person interactions should the signature requirement remain.

“Anything we can do to prevent further deaths, we should be doing,” she said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.