You are reading

City Shuts Down Aviation High School as a Vaccination Site, Directs Residents Elsewhere

Aviation High School, located at 45-30 36th St. (Google Maps)

March 24, 2021 By Allie Griffin

New Yorkers who have vaccine appointments at Aviation High School in Long Island City must go to a different location to get the shot starting tomorrow.

Appointments that had been scheduled for Aviation High School will instead take place at 5-17 46th Rd., the NYC Health Department announced earlier this week.

The city has switched the location of appointments scheduled for Thursday, March 25 onward since high schoolers have returned to class. Students at Aviation High School returned for in-person instruction on Monday.

The date and time of the appointments have largely remained the same, according to the health department.

City workers have notified New Yorkers of the location change by text, phone and email.

Staff members will be present at Aviation High School to redirect anyone who mistakenly shows up to receive the vaccine beginning tomorrow.

Other vaccination sites at Queens high schools – including August Martin High School and Hillcrest High School — will begin offering second dose appointments only as alternative sites are identified, the city health department said.

The department didn’t immediately provide updates on vaccine appointments at Martin Van Buren High School, in Queens Village, or John Adams High School, in Ozone Park.

A health department spokesperson also didn’t respond to a reporter’s question as to why the high school sites still show on the city’s online vaccine finder.

However, the department said it is working to expand capacity at other vaccine sites, where possible, to accommodate any increased demand due the modifications.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.