You are reading

NYC Firefighter Arrested After Man Dies in Fight at Whitestone Bar: NYPD

Devin Deegan (pictured) was allegedly punched at Terrace Inn Bar in Whitestone and later died (Photo: Facebook, GMaps)

March 29, 2021 By Christina Santucci

An off-duty firefighter was arrested and charged with assault in connection to a bar fight that left a 55-year-old man dead in Whitestone early Saturday.

Firefighter Justin Deieso, 35, allegedly punched Whitestone resident Devin Deegan during a scuffle at the back of Terrace Inn Bar on Francis Lewis Boulevard, police said.

Emergency responders were called to the tavern just after 4 a.m. Saturday morning, and officers found Deegan, lying on the ground and with trauma to the back of his head. Deegan was rushed to Flushing Hospital Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Deieso was arrested at the scene and later released without bail on a misdemeanor assault charge.

Sources told The NY Post that Deieso allegedly punched Deegan, sending him flying backwards and onto the ground, where he struck his head on the pavement when he landed. Police believe that Deegan may have also suffered a heart attack, the Daily News reported.

An attorney for Deieso maintained his client’s innocence. “It’s a case of self-defense for sure,” the lawyer, Robert Gallo, told The Post.

Deieso has worked as a firefighter for the past seven years and is currently stationed at Ladder Company 122 in Park Slope. He has been suspended without pay for up to 28 days as the incident is being investigated, the FDNY said

Deieso is scheduled to appear in Queens Criminal Court on May 14, according to court records.

The NYPD said that the Medical Examiner will determine the cause of Deegan’s death, and the investigation was ongoing.

Deegan worked as an electrician and cared for his parents until they died several years ago, neighbors told The Post. He lived about five blocks from Terrace Inn Bar, located at 20-05 Francis Lewis Boulevard.

It is not clear if Terrace Inn Bar had been open when the fight took place. Restaurants and bars in New York State are only permitted to stay open until 11 p.m., under executive orders put into place by the governor last month.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.