You are reading

Jumaane Williams and City Council Candidate Jaslin Kaur Discuss Public Safety in Eastern Queens

Public Advocate Jumaane Williams and City Council candidate Jaslin Kaur in Queens Village Monday (Photo: courtesy of Jaslin Kaur)

May 18, 2021 By Ryan Songalia

Policing and pandemic recovery were on the agenda as city council candidate Jaslin Kaur and Public Advocate Jumaane Williams addressed a crowd of nearly 100 residents in Queens Village Monday.

Kaur, who is running to represent District 23, shared her vision of a safer New York at the meeting last night titled “Safe Families, Safe Streets, Safe Communities.”

She said that public safety comes from investing in programs for children and young people, like community centers and the “3-K” early development program.

“Real public safety isn’t about increased surveillance and incarceration, it’s about giving children a pathway to a good future,” Kaur, a resident of Glen Oaks, said.

Williams, who has endorsed Kaur in her primary, said public safety is a “huge issue” as the pandemic winds down, and says that the way crises like mental health and homelessness are addressed need to be reimagined.

“Especially in this pandemic, mental health is a problem, suicide is a problem, gun violence is a problem. Hurt people, hurt people – they either hurt themselves, or they hurt other folks,” Williams said.

Gun crime has risen significantly since the beginning of the pandemic, with 505 shooting victims reported in the city from Jan. 1, 2021 through May 9, according to NYPD data. That number is up nearly 84 percent from the same point in 2020, and more than double the number compared to 2019.

Williams says that providing unlimited overtime to mental health workers—as opposed to the NYPD—could prove beneficial.

“We ask law enforcement to do everything. Mental health services, helping homeless New Yorkers… the police don’t have the tools to do that,” Williams said.

Williams, who served in the city council from 2010 to 2019, says that mental health care needs to be prioritized, particularly for young people, who have had to grow up under the unique circumstances of the pandemic.

“If adults have felt trauma this past year, being home, not being able to see family, I can only imagine what the young people are going through,” Williams said.

Kaur shared the story of her parents – her mother works at Shop Rite and her father is a taxi driver – to show her personal connection to the struggle of working families during the pandemic.

She said her father, who just turned 62 this month, says he has no plan to ever retire.

Kaur says she empathizes with New Yorkers who are worried about facing eviction, losing their job or about whether they’ll get health and senior care services.

“With every story I’ve heard from every neighbor I’ve spoken to just in this past hour, I feel a lot of pain and distrust in systems that haven’t been working for us,” Kaur said.

Kaur is one of seven candidates running to replace Barry Grodenchik, who announced last year he is retiring from office at the end of his term.

The district is comprised of Bayside Hills, Bellerose, Douglaston, Floral Park, Fresh Meadows, Glen Oaks, Hollis, Hollis Hills, Holliswood, Little Neck and Queens Village.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.