You are reading

DOT Commissioner Vows to Make Changes to Notorious Glendale Intersection

Queens Council Member Robert Holden, DOT Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez, Assembly Member Jenifer Rajkumar (Photo: Twitter via @BobHoldenNYC)

Queens Council Member Robert Holden, DOT Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez, Assembly Member Jenifer Rajkumar (Photo: Twitter via @BobHoldenNYC)

Feb. 23, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

“Help is on the way.”

Those are the words of DOT Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez who told residents in Glendale Tuesday that his agency is actively working on improving road safety in the neighborhood — following a number of serious crashes in the area recently.

Rodriguez was speaking at a press conference held at the busy intersection of Cypress Avenue and Cooper Avenue where a pedestrian last week was struck by a motorist in a car— and then by an SUV driver moments later.

A video of the graphic incident went viral online prompting Council Member Robert Holden to call for Tuesday’s gathering as a means of urging city officials to act on making streets in the district safer.

The DOT Commissioner was joined by Holden, State Senator Joe Addabbo, Assembly Member Jenifer Rajkumar and other traffic safety advocates. Some residents held signs that read, “prioritize pedestrians” and “safe streets now.”

Rodriguez said the DOT will be making a number of changes to the intersection—a notorious hotspot for crashes. For instance, from January 2014 to December 2021 there were 153 traffic incidents in and around the intersection, which left seven cyclists, 10 pedestrians and 56 motorists injured, according to city data.

Some of the improvements the DOT is considering, Rodriquez said, include raised crosswalks, pedestrian-only signal timing, new road markings and redesigned lanes.

“We can start with some of them that are easier to do,” Rodriguez said, reported StreetsBlogNYC. “There are other things that will take more time, but I can say that help is on the way. You will see changes here in the next couple of days.”

Holden, whose 30th Council District includes Glendale, called on the DOT to look into installing raised crosswalks at the intersection to help make pedestrians more visible to motorists.

He also demanded that the city enforce traffic laws at the intersection, noting that many drivers park their cars illegally which makes it harder for motorists to see pedestrians. Furthermore, motorists are known to cut through a gas station at the intersection to save time, he said.

“This is a ridiculously busy corner and the pedestrian is at a distinct disadvantage here,” Holden said.

Holden said that nine pedestrians have been killed within the confines of the NYPD 104th Precinct — which covers Ridgewood, Glendale, Middle Village and Maspeth — in the last two years.

“In this neighborhood, we’re really not as worried about violent crime, but I tell my wife every morning when she goes to work, ‘careful crossing the street.’ That’s the most danger to life and limb in this precinct,” Holden said.

He also displayed a number of rejection letters he has received from the DOT in response to his requests for safety improvements in the district. Holden’s district also covers Ridgewood, Maspeth, Middle Village and parts of Woodhaven and Woodside.

“I call them ‘turned-down letters’ because I’m always being turned down,” he said.

Meanwhile, Rajkumar recalled last week’s crash at the intersection, which she said shocked the community.

“It was captured on video for the whole world to see and we all watched in collective horror,” Rajkumar said.

Rajkumar said the intersection is not the only dangerous roadway in the area.

She said that there have been 536 reported crashes on a four-block stretch along Cypress Avenue, from the intersection to the Jackie Robinson Parkway exit ramp, over the last eight years, citing city data.

“This is traffic violence,” Rajkumar said. “Traffic violence is when we know about the dangers of this roadway and we don’t do anything about it. That’s violence against the community and it has to stop.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.