You are reading

Can NYC Live Without Its $1.7-Billion-a-Year Developer Tax Break?

Construction at the Hudson Yards development in Manhattan, March 16, 2022. Ben Fractenberg/THE CITY.

Logo for THE CITY

This article was originally published by The CITY on March 16

To the Citizens Budget Commission, the controversial property tax break called 421-a for developers of new rental buildings, including affordable apartments, is essential to increase the city’s too-small housing supply.

“Allowing 421-a to lapse would significantly reduce rental housing development, worsen the city’s existing housing supply shortage and make New York City’s already scarce and costly rental housing scarcer and more expensive,” the CBC said in a report titled “Amend it, Don’t End It” issued Wednesday.

To City Comptroller Brad Lander, the program is a waste.

“421-a is expensive and inefficient,” he said Wednesday in his own report on the issue, issued one hour before the CBC released its assessment. “Most of the income-restricted units are unaffordable to the vast majority of New Yorkers, and especially to residents in the neighborhoods where they are built.”

Lander wants to see 421-a vanish in a trade-in for a broader property tax fix.

Gov. Kathy Hochul proposed to extend the program in her budget, with some tweaks and also a rebrand as Affordable Neighborhoods for New Yorkers. She’s making tougher affordable housing demands on developers, who must set aside at least 20 percent of their apartments for people at designated income levels.

Her plan would no longer count middle-income apartments as affordable housing and would require more units at lower income tiers.

Indeed, the fate of the tax break, which expires this summer and will reduce city property tax revenue by $1.77 billion in the year ending June 30, is likely to be decided by the end of the month, when the state is required to adopt a budget for the fiscal year that begins April 1.

That’s because many moderate Democrats in the Assembly and state Senate may have reservations about being on record voting for the developer tax abatement, exposing them to attacks from candidates running to their left in the June Democratic primary, both supporters and opponents say.

A budget agreed to by the governor and legislative leaders with some version of the tax break folded in doesn’t pose the same political problem come election time — and progressives are not likely to oppose the deal because of 421-a either.

In an important win for the proponents of the program, Mayor Eric Adams endorsed the Hochul proposal last month.

“We need to build more rental housing, and without this kind of tool, the housing crisis will only get worse. While the administration may suggest tweaks in the future, this proposal is incredibly important, and the Adams administration supports it,” a City Hall spokesman said Wednesday in a statement to THE CITY.

500K+ New Homes Needed

State lawmakers first enacted the 421-a tax exemption in 1971, with the city’s economy in its most severe post-war economic downturn, to spur developers to build apartments. It has continued in various iterations since, with occasional periods when the program lapsed amid disputes over its requirements.

The tax break now helps pay to build the vast majority of new housing. In the 10 years ending in 2020, 421-a accounted for 68 percent of all new apartments in buildings with at least four units, according to a report released last month by the NYU Furman Center. A related program accounted for an additional 21 percent — meaning nine out of every 10 new units benefited from some kind of tax break.

New construction goes up in Hell’s Kitchen, Manhattan, March 16, 2022. Ben Fractenberg/THE CITY

And half of all affordable units since 2014 have been built under 421-a and a locally administered tax break, according to data from the city.

Despite the tax break, the city is not building enough new residences.

New York needs 560,000 new units of housing by 2030 to make up the deficit in new construction over the past decade and accommodate expected population and job growth in the post-pandemic city, according to a study by the consulting firm AKRF commissioned by the Real Estate Board of New York.

The problem, says the new CBC report, is that New York has high costs to build and operate apartment buildings because of the cost of land, construction and property taxes. It estimates that without a tax break, rents on average would have to increase 75 percent to make development economically feasible.

“Most rental housing and especially housing that includes affordable housing simply would be too expensive to build,” said Andrew Rein, president of the CBC.

Lander disagrees, saying reducing property taxes on rental buildings would be sufficient to make new apartment construction affordable. The problem, he says, is that the city’s property tax system levies comparatively low taxes on single-family homes, condos and coops, then makes up the lost revenue with property taxes on rental buildings that can consume 30 percent or more of operating income.

Lander proposes letting 421-a lapse when it expires at the end of June, and urges state lawmakers to set an end-of-year deadline for comprehensive property tax reform.

He points to key recommendations from a property tax commission convened by former Mayor Bill de Blasio, including a single tax rate and valuation system for co-ops, condos, homes and small apartment buildings. Such a step would reduce taxes on rental buildings by 30 percent, his report contends.

He meanwhile urges a new affordable housing tax break to be targeted project by project, with the details worked out in negotiations with the city.

Ben Fractenberg/THE CITY Comptroller Brad Lander spoke outside the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue, Jan. 14, 2022.

“We aren’t proposing nothing,” he told THE CITY in an interview. “We are proposing good property tax reform that solves a significant chunk of the problem.

Opponents of providing a new-development tax break include the Legal Aid Society and Sen. Michael Gianaris (D-Queens), the deputy Senate majority leader.

While Lander dismisses the Hochul changes as inconsequential, the CBC believes they go too far in requiring more affordable apartments be set aside for lower-income New Yorkers no matter where they are built.

Its study says that only developments in high-rent areas like Chelsea and downtown Brooklyn would be viable while the proposed new rules would deter new construction in places like Bushwick and Gowanus, where a new rezoning pushed by Lander is expected to produce thousands of new apartments.

Union Label

The key may be whether the state’s powerful labor unions decide to support or oppose an extension.

The building service workers union SEIU 32BJ — which secured a living wage guarantee in a previous 421-a extension — has come out strongly in favor of the Hochul plan.

“The worst thing we can do is to let the program expire without a replacement in place and see both good jobs and affordable housing production fall off a cliff — stripping our communities of much-needed affordability and leaving workers in the lurch,” said union president Kyle Bragg.

The New York City District Council of Carpenters denounced the Hochul plan earlier this week, calling for a more extensive overhaul. Still yet to weigh in are the rest of the building trades unions, whose support is crucial if the program is to be extended, insiders say.

Real estate interests say they remain confident they can get the program extended.

“We must seize this opportunity right now — regardless of long-term policy ideas, no matter how well-intended,” said James Whelan, president of the Real Estate Board of New York. “We are confident that the Governor’s proposal will be included in her final budget later this month.”

THE CITY is an independent, nonprofit news outlet dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.