You are reading

Man Charged With Murder for Fatal Stabbing That Took Place During Flushing Home Invasion: DA

A Queens man has been charged with murder for a fatal stabbing that took place at 132-18 57th Rd., pictured, in Flushing early Sunday (Photos: iStock and Google Maps)

May 24, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A Queens man has been charged with murder for a fatal stabbing that took place during a home invasion in Flushing early Sunday morning.

Yang Zhang, 35, was arraigned at Queens Criminal Court Monday charged with murder and other crimes for fatally stabbing 41-year-old Yat Ming Wong inside the victim’s third-floor apartment, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

Zhang, of 147th Street in Flushing, stabbed Wong multiple times in the legs, neck, head and arms using a sharp object after breaking into the 132-18 57th Rd. apartment via a balcony at around 2 a.m., police and prosecutors said.

Wong, the victim, had been asleep with his wife inside their bedroom when Zhang burst into the apartment and attacked him. Meanwhile, his wife fled the apartment to safety, police said.

When police arrived, they discovered Wong in bed with multiple stab wounds to his body. EMS declared him dead at the scene.

Cops found Zhang in the backyard and arrested him. He tried to resist arrest and had to be tasered, police said.

The NYPD said that Zhang was going from balcony to balcony trying to break into apartments prior to the killing. He told cops he had entered Wong’s apartment looking for drugs.

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said the attack on Wong appeared to be unprovoked.

“This brutal act of violence is compounded by the seemingly random nature of the attack,” Katz said. “Thankfully, the victim’s wife escaped but must now cope with the tragedy of losing her loved one.”

Zhang faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.