You are reading

Councilmember Holden Introduces Legislation to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages From Operating in the City

(Photo Foto Phanatic via Unsplash)

Councilmember Robert Holden has introduced a bill that would ban horse-drawn carriages from operating in the city (Photo: Foto Phanatic via Unsplash)

July 20, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

Horse-drawn carriages are unsafe, inhumane and condemn horses to a lifetime of hardship.

That’s the view of Councilmember Robert Holden who has introduced a bill that aims to ban horse-drawn carriages from operating in the city.

The legislation, if passed, would end the practice beginning June 1, 2024 and replace the wagons with horseless electric carriages that would provide trips within Central Park and certain areas of Manhattan.

Under the legislation, the city would oversee a program to lease or sell the electric carriages to current horse-drawn cab drivers who would get preference for licenses to operate the new vehicles. The new electric carriage drivers would also be paid prevailing or union wages set by the city comptroller.

Horse-drawn carriages, although controversial due to animal welfare concerns, have been a fixture of Central Park since the 1850s and continue to be a massive tourist attraction, proponents say.

However, Holden says that it’s time for the city to move on and scrap the practice for good.

“New York has always been a city of innovation and there is no reason to continue to use these horses this way,” Holden, a Democrat, said in a statement to the Queens Post.

“We can end their needless suffering and improve carriage drivers’ livelihood at the same time.”

Holden said the electric carriages could generate extra income for the drivers since they can be operated all year round, unlike the horse-drawn carriages which are forbidden during heat waves or inclement weather. The vehicles would have a speed limit of 25 miles per hour, with the speed capped at 3 miles an hour while operating inside Central Park.

Two Queens councilmembers, Tiffany Cabán, a progressive, and Joann Ariola, a Republican, are among nine lawmakers who are co-sponsoring the bill.

However, it is unclear whether the legislation would pass a majority vote inside the 51-member city council chamber.

Furthermore, Mayor Eric Adams does not support the ban and the chamber would require a two-thirds majority to override a potential mayoral veto. Adams, however, has said he is prepared to discuss the legislation.

In last year’s mayoral election, Adams was backed by the Transport Workers Union (TWU) that also represents the horse-drawn carriage riders — who vehemently oppose such a ban.

Carriage drivers and the TWU argue that the horses are well looked after and work under favorable conditions.

Tony Utano, president of Transport Workers Union Local 100, told the New York Post last week that the horses receive physical exams by horse veterinarians up to four times a year and new shoes every 4 to 6 weeks. They also get regular dental care, vaccinations, hoof trimming, he said.

“They have comfortable and clean stalls, spend their days in the 843-acre park – and get at least five weeks’ vacation on farms every year,” Utano said.

Meanwhile, animal rights campaigners such as the anti-horse carriage group — New Yorkers for a Clean, Livable and Safe Streets (NYCLASS) — argue that the horses are being exploited and often get spooked by oncoming traffic – leading to crashes and injuries.

NYCLASS says the horses have also been made to work in extreme heat and with visible injuries.

The group held a rally with Holden outside city hall last week in support of the bill.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.