You are reading

Apartment Fire in Astoria Leaves 6 Injured, Caused by Overloaded Power Strip: FDNY

A fire that ripped through an apartment building in Astoria Tuesday — and injured six people — was caused by an outlet power strip overloading, the FDNY announced today (Photo Citizen)

Sept. 7, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A fire that ripped through an apartment building in Astoria Tuesday — and injured six people — was caused by an outlet power strip overloading, the FDNY announced today.

The blaze broke out just before 8 p.m. yesterday on the second floor of a 3-story apartment building at 42-13 23rd Ave. The FDNY sent out 12 units and around 60 firefighters to extinguish the flames.

Video footage shows smoke billowing out of a window on the second floor of the building.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, at least two people had already jumped out of the building to escape, FDNY Deputy Chief Mark Cuccurullo told the New York Post. Neither was seriously injured.

Six people in total required medical attention stemming from the fire, with five of them taken to area hospitals, the FDNY said. None of the injuries were life-threatening.

The FDNY did rescue four people from the building, including a mother and her newborn baby, Cuccurullo said. The baby was first retrieved by firefighters via a rear fire escape before the mother was helped, he said. It isn’t clear whether the mother and child were among the six injured.

The blaze was brought under control at around 8:30 p.m., the FDNY said.

Investigators have determined that the blaze was caused by an outlet power strip on the second floor overloading. The electrical power strip then caught fire, which spread throughout the three-story building.

In response to yesterday’s fire, the FDNY urged the public on social media to avoid overloading extension cords with multiple items, appliances, or power strips.

The department cited overloaded electrical outlets as one of the major causes of residential fires.

Fire units tackling the blaze in Astoria Tuesday (Photos: Citizen)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.