You are reading

Queens lawmakers condemn ‘utterly reprehensible’ anti-Asian attack in Corona

Photos via official Capitol Hill Photo, Flickr, NY Senate Media, official portrait, Twitter, NYC Council (L to R)

March 6, 2023 By Michael Dorgan

A group of Queens lawmakers have condemned an alleged racially-motivated attack on a woman and her son in Corona last week.

The legislators — U.S. Rep. Grace Meng, State Senators Michael Gianaris and Jessica Ramos, Assembly members Steven Raga and Jessica Gonzalez-Rojas, as well as City Council Member Shekar Krishnan – issued a joint statement Monday, March 6, denouncing the suspects for their “utterly reprehensible” beat down of the two victims, who are of Filipino heritage.

Elmhurst residents Cecille Lai, 44, and her son Kyle Lai, 24, were kicked and punched in the head by three suspects — a woman and two men — who had gotten out of a white Acura SUV near the Junction Boulevard 7-train station at around 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 2, according to police.

The female suspect also threw water at Cecille Lai and one of the suspects yelled out an anti-Asian slur, police said. It is unclear what exactly was said.

The victims were transported to area hospitals in the immediate aftermath of the incident where they were treated for head injuries, according to the NYPD.

“We condemn this heinous act of xenophobia and violence,” the lawmakers said in a statement. “The incident involved the use of explicit anti-Asian slurs and physical violence, which is utterly reprehensible.”

The elected officials said they were deeply saddened and concerned to learn about what happened to the pair, and they vowed to stand up against such hate-filled acts.

“We stand in solidarity with Cecille and her family during this difficult time,” read the statement. “Within our role as elected officials, we remain firmly committed to combating hate and bigotry in all its forms and ensuring that everyone in our community is treated with respect, dignity, and kindness.”

The lawmakers said they have been in close contact with the victims and their family, as well as with community organizations and the 115th police precinct.

Cops said that the three suspects fled the scene in the SUV after the attack.

The NYPD released a photo and video of the alleged assailants on Saturday, March 4.

No arrests have been made and the incident is being investigated by the NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force.

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.