You are reading

Outdoor movie nights will return to Hunters Point waterfront next week

A series of outdoor movie nights called CinemaLIC will kick off at the Hunters Point waterfront on June 22. Attendees at one of last year’s screenings (Photo by Jessica Sechrist)

June 15, 2023 By Michael Dorgan

Summer is here and that means one thing: free outdoor movies on the Long Island City waterfront!

A series of outdoor movie nights will kick off at the Hunters Point waterfront on June 22, with the cult classic “Back to the Future” (1985) starting off the 2023 season.

The free movies, known as CinemaLIC, will be displayed on a state-of-the-art, 30-foot inflatable screen at Hunters Point South Park. The Manhattan skyline will once again provide a spectacular backdrop.

Now in its ninth year, CinemaLIC will feature five separate screenings in this year’s season.

Movie lovers will get to enjoy “Back to the Future” on the first night featuring Michael J. Fox as high school student Marty McFly and Christopher Lloyd as maverick scientist “Doc” Brown. In the film, McFly is accidentally sent back to 1955 in a time-traveling DeLorean automobile built by the eccentric Brown.

The comedy-adventure “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” (2023) will be shown on July 13, with the critically-acclaimed “Top Gun: Maverick” (2022) being screened on July 22.

“Top Gun: Maverick” features Tom Cruise as top Navy aviator Pete “Maverick” Mitchell in the action-packed movie and many critics have praised it as being better than its predecessor.

“Soul” (2020), a computer-animated fantasy comedy-drama, will be screened on Aug. 10 with the series concluding on Sept. 8 with the Disney animated classic “Aladdin” (1992).

The films are all free to view and the park will be open to the public. All movies begin shortly after sunset.

The movie series is being organized by the Hunters Point Parks Conservancy (HPPC), a volunteer group that oversees events and helps with the upkeep of the park.

Rob Basch, president of the HPPC, said the waterfront park offers one of the best outdoor movie experiences in the city given its spacious setting and stunning views.

He said that hundreds of attendees flock to each screening and around 1,300 residents watched last year’s screening of Ecnanto on the waterfront.

“The conservancy is very excited to once again bring a series of family-friendly films to the LIC Waterfront,” Basch said. “There is nothing better than spending a summer evening at the best theater anywhere. We look forward to seeing everyone soon.”

Pictures of CinemaLIC

Residents getting ready for a screening at a previous series (Photo provided by Jessica Sechrist)

Attendees at one of last year’s screenings (Photo by Jessica Sechrist)

This year’s sponsors include real estate firm Nestseekers, the Gotham Organization, Weill Cornell Medicine Primary Care Long Island City, and Shibley Day Camp Center, which is based in Long Island.

Basch said that food and beverages will be available to purchase at Frank Ottomanelli’s by the Water, the park’s outdoor café. Frank Ottomanelli’s by the Water is also sponsoring the series.

No alcoholic beverages are permitted to be brought into the park or consumed outside of the designated picnic area next to Ottomanelli’s, Basch said.

The websites cinemalic.com and hunterspointparks.org will provide updates on any weather-related changes to the schedule.

The screening dates are listed below:

June 22: “Back to the Future”
July 13: “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania”
July 22: “Top Gun: Maverick”
Aug. 10: “Soul”
Sept. 8: “Aladdin”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.