You are reading

Court Square subway rider attacked by man using odd choice of weapon: NYPD

The NYPD is searching for this suspect after he used a towel to strike a train rider in the head with such force that it caused a laceration. (Screenshot via surveillance video courtesy of NYPD)

July 14, 2023 By Bill Parry

A G-train rider was attacked inside a Court Square subway station late last month and suffered a head injury after he was assaulted by a man using an unusual weapon.

The 41-year-old victim was on the mezzanine level of the Court Square-23rd Street station complex at around 7 p.m. on Friday, June 30 when he was approached by the suspect.

The assailant took out a towel and used it to strike the victim in his head with such force that it caused a laceration, police said. The attacker fled onto a Flushing-bound 7 train and remains at large.

Police from the 108th Precinct in Long Island City and Transit District 20 responded to the scene and EMS transported the victim to Mount Sinai Queens Hospital where he was treated for his head injury.

The NYPD released surveillance video of the perpetrator on Thursday that shows the alleged perpetrator coming through the station’s turnstiles and described him as having a dark complexion, approximately 35 years old, standing 6’ tall.

He was last seen wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt over a black T-shirt, dark colored cargo pants, a black baseball cap. He was also seen carrying a white towel, police said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.