You are reading

Boys and Girls Club Of Metro Queens hosts soccer clinic in Howard Beach

Sep. 1, 2023 By John Schilling

The Boys & Girls Club of Metro Queens (BGCMQ) welcomed children from across the borough to P.S. 146 in Howard Beach last month for a soccer clinic as a part of the club’s summer camp.

Sponsored by McDonald’s New York Metro Restaurants, the soccer clinic was made up of numerous stations throughout the school’s gym space run by youth coaches for children ages 10 to 13. Each station offered the kids an opportunity to complete a challenge and receive a prize.

Howard Beach soccer clinic

The soccer clinic was made up of numerous stations throughout the school’s gym space run by youth coaches for children ages 10 to 13 years.Photo courtesy of BGCMQ

“At Boys & Girls Clubs, we do whatever it takes to ensure all kids are on a path toward a Great Future, even in the summer,” BGCMQ said in a statement. “We provide kids with safe and fun summer experiences that give them the confidence to learn, explore, grow and discover their passion.”

Established in 1957, BGCMQ aims to provide a safe space for all children across New York City with afterschool programs that emphasize education and the “emotional, social, and physical development of youth.” After over 65 years in operation, BGCMQ, which is based in Richmond Hill, has served more than 5,000 children across nine locations in Queens.

Howard Beach soccer clinic

Each station offered the kids an opportunity to complete a challenge and receive a prize.Photo courtesy of BGCMQ

In addition to P.S. 146 in Howard Beach, the program’s other sites include P.S. 62 in South Richmond Hill, P.S. 90 in Richmond Hill, P.S. 121 in South Ozone Park and P.S. 97 in Woodhaven. With these locations, BGCMQ averages about 950 children between the ages of 4 and 18 each day.

During the school year, BGCMQ provides homework support, STEM enrichment and literacy programming to the club’s young members while also offering a teen center that focuses on college prep and workforce readiness for older members.

When school is out for the summer, BGCMQ’s work continues with the seven-week summer camp that runs five days a week from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. each day.

Howard Beach soccer clinic

The soccer clinic was held in P.S. 146 in Howard Beach.Photo courtesy of BGCMQ

Through sports activities — like the soccer clinic — and field trips, BGCMQ’s goal is to develop the city’s youth into productive members of society while also keeping them safe and off the streets during the summer months.

“BGCMQ has inspired and enabled all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens,” the club’s statement said. “Clubs do whatever it takes to ensure that kids and teens have a memorable summer and are prepared for the upcoming school year.”

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.