You are reading

Man slugged unconscious outside mosque in Long Island City: NYPD

Police are looking for a suspect who sucker-punched a man unconscious outside a mosque in the Dutch Kills section of Long Island City on Friday, Sept. 8 (Photos: NYPD and Google Maps)

Sep. 13, 2023 By Michael Dorgan

Police are looking for a suspect who punched a man unconscious outside a mosque in the Dutch Kills section of Long Island City on Friday, Sept. 8.

The suspect entered The Islamic Center of Bosnia and Herzegovina, a mosque located at 37-46 Crescent St. within the 114th Precinct, at around 6:45 a.m. and got into a verbal dispute about money with the 42-year-old victim, cops said.

The victim escorted the alleged assailant outside of the mosque, where the suspect slugged him in the face with a closed fist, causing him to fall to the ground and go unconscious, according to police.

The suspect fled the scene on foot southbound on Crescent Street to parts unknown, the NYPD said.

The victim was transported to Mount Sinai Queens in stable condition, where he was treated for physical injuries to his face.

The suspect is described as a male with a dark complexion and a goatee. He is believed to be between 25 to 35 years old and was last seen wearing a white T-shirt and black shorts.

Anyone with information in regard to this incident is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at crimestoppers.nypdonline.org/, on Twitter @NYPDTips.

All calls are strictly confidential.

There have been 337 reported felony assaults in the 114th Precinct so far this year, down 4.5% compared to the same time last year, according to police data.

(114th Precinct crime stats)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.