You are reading

Senior walks and traffic talks: Jackson Heights event highlights street safety for seniors, this Friday

Senior woman crossing (Getty Images)

Jan. 4, 2024 By Rachel Butler

A walk for seniors to highlight potential traffic dangers—as well as measures that have been put in place to make streets safer—will be taking place this Friday, Jan.5 in Jackson Heights. 

The event, called Senior Walks and Traffic Talks, will begin at the NYPD 115th precinct stationhouse, located at 92-15 Northern Blvd., and will go down Northern Boulevard and conclude at Diversity Plaza in Jackson Heights. The 1.5 mile walk will begin at the stationhouse at 11 a.m.

The walk is being organized by the New York Coalition for Transportation Safety and is being hosted by Christina Furlong, the group’s administrator and a Jackson Heights resident.

Furlong is also the co- founder of Make Queens Safer, a neighborhood group that was set up to advocate for safer streets in Queens and to reduce traffic related deaths. 

Cristina Furlong (File photo)

On the walk, Furlong and the seniors will visit the sites where three seniors were killed from 2017-2018 and look at what the Department of Transportation (DOT) has done since to make the intersections safer.

The three seniors were aged between 65 and 82 and died on Northern Boulevard and 90th Street, Northern Boulevard and 85th Street, and on 37th Avenue and 81st Street. One death occurred in 2017 and two in 2018.

“We are going to take a look at the three sites where the deaths occurred and explain some of the devices that can be used to make streets safer for senior citizens. These deaths were preventable and tragic,” said Furlong. 

She will also be talking to the seniors about the role of the Chief Public Realm Officer Ya-Ting Liu, who was appointed by Mayor Eric Adams in February last year. It is his role to work with city government, community organizations and the private sector to create public spaces across the city. 

“I would like to talk to the senior citizens about this role and how they perceive these changes,” Furlong said. 

Seniors who plan on attending can get their free ticket on Eventbrite or turn up at the starting location at 11 a.m. Friday.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.