You are reading

Constantinides Hospitalized With COVID-19 Complications Again, Misses City Budget Vote

Queens Council Member Costa Constantinides (NYC Council)

July 1, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Council Member Costa Constantinides missed the city budget vote Tuesday after being hospitalized with COVID-19 complications again.

Constantinides suffered breathing difficulties and chest pain at around 8 p.m. last night and checked into Mount Sinai Queens, according to his spokesperson Terence Cullen.

Constantinides notified the city council that he would be unable to attend the vote as he arrived at the Emergency Department.

He spent several hours in the hospital and has now returned home, Cullen said.

It was the first time Constantinides missed a budget vote since being elected to office in 2013. The city council passed an $88.1 billion budget for FY 2021 with a 32-to-17 vote around midnight.

Constantinides, who represents Astoria and East Elmhurst, first contracted COVID-19 in late March and has been battling it since.

He was hospitalized on three separate occasions in April due to COVID-19.

“Last night I was once again forced to go to the hospital with complications from COVID-19,” Constantinides said in a statement Wednesday. “You don’t know how frustrating this has been, as I want to fully focus on my job. But breathing is at times difficult, especially as the weather gets hotter.”

The lawmaker, who didn’t say whether he would have voted for the budget or not, has previously called for cuts to the NYPD budget. In a statement, he vowed to continue to fight for a smaller police force despite being term-limited in 2021.

“While I was not able to make a stand last night, I am committed to using whatever time I have left in the council to fight for a scaled-down police department,” he said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.