You are reading

World Music Festival returns to Sunnyside Gardens next Saturday

Photo from the 2023 World Music Festival. Courtesy of QUIP.

Photo from the 2023 World Music Festival. Courtesy of QUIP.

Sept. 13, 2024 By Shane O’Brien 

A global music festival featuring artists from all over the world is set to take place at Sunnyside Gardens next Saturday.

The Queens United International Party’s (QUIP) 7th-annual World Music Festival will take place at Sunnyside Gardens at 48-21 39th Ave. from 4-10 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21. Adult entry is $15, with proceeds supporting park upkeep and events. Kids 12 and under are free.

The annual festival celebrates Queens’ “incredible diversity,” providing music, dance performances, and kids’ crafts from different cultures around the world.

It also features a variety of international food vendors, including The Burrito Factory, Mom’s MomosJam Rock Jerk and MozzArepas.

Alewife Brewing, a popular taproom in Sunnyside, will be providing beverages for the event.

This year’s event will feature performances from renowned kora player Yacouba Sissoko, with Colombian artist Alea bringing her unique sound that blends cumbia, vallenato, rancheras, pop and jazz.

Uruguayan electronic artist Somer Suarez will open the festival, followed by Malini Srinivasan, a third-generation Bharatanatyam artist dedicated to spreading a deep understanding of Indian classical traditions.

The event also features a performance from the unique group Fogo Azul, all-women, trans, and non-binary Brazilian Samba Reggae drum line, while hula-hooping sensation Pinkie Special will also be performing on the night.

Liftoff Brass Band, incorporates New York’s current generation of musicians who are revitalizing the brass-band sound, and the Akoko Nante Ensemble, a Queens-based Ghanaian group that threads the music of many nations into one tapestry, complete the line-up for the 2024 QUIP World Music Festival.

The festival will take place on two alternating stages in Sunnyside Gardens.

Quinn O’Sullivan, one of the QUIP organizers, said the upcoming festival will draw a crowd of around 2,000 people spanning generations and ethnicities.

“The Queens United International Party has become an event that spans generations, races, ethnicities and social classes,” O’Sullivan said in a statement.

“We have created a space where adults can have the freedom to dance like children and children have a chance to own the dance floor like adults. Since its inception, it has since grown to be one of the park’s biggest annual events with around 2,000 people attending last year.”

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.