You are reading

Sunnyside resident launches fundraiser to support Jar Bar owner recovering from violent robbery

 

Jason Spratt, owner of the Jar Bar. Photo: Shane O’Brien

Nov. 26, 2024 By Shane O’Brien

A Sunnyside resident has launched an online fundraiser in aid of Jar Bar owner Jason Spratt, who suffered extensive head injuries during a violent robbery in Sunnyside at the end of September.

Spratt, who has owned Jar Bar at 45-06 48th Ave. for the past 10 years, was left in a coma for four days after being attacked by three men on 48th Avenue on Sept. 29.

Spratt told the Sunnyside Post in October that he was carrying $17,500 in a concealed bag at the time of the attack, stating that one of the men hit him in the back of the head with what he believes was a garden hoe, causing him to fall to the ground.

He said the men made off with the money he was carrying after relentlessly kicking him in the head.

Meanwhile, a separate break-in at Jar Bar on Oct. 3 saw an estimated $13,000 stolen from the bar, taking the bar’s total losses to around $30,000 in under a week.

“I got hit twice in the same week,” Spratt told the Sunnyside Post last month. “I don’t have $30,000. I’m running a small business over here, and it’s a real kick in the teeth.”

The Sept. 29 incident also left Spratt with lasting injuries. He said he underwent several MRIs and CT scans following the attack, with doctors informing him that he had bleeding on three different parts of his brain.

Jason Ramos, who launched a GoFundMe to “Keep the Jar Bar Alive” on Spratt’s behalf, said Spratt has been “touch and go” on several occasions over the past two months, stating that he suffered cranial fractures, brain swelling and intermittent loss of motor function as a result of the attack.

However, Ramos said Spratt was becoming “his Jason self” after a “scary” few weeks, although he noted that the bar had struggled financially after the two robberies.

“Patronage is back, but inventory is scarce and rent is behind due to the loss as well as Jason being unable to manage for weeks on end,” Ramos said.

Ramos, who has lived in Sunnyside for 30 years, said he was inspired to help the Jar Bar because he didn’t want a neighborhood staple to go out of business.

“I don’t want the bar to fail,” Ramos said. “I take a lot of pride in many of the local mom-and-pop businesses that make up Sunnyside.”

Speaking to the Sunnyside Post last month, Spratt noted that the Jar Bar first opened in 1927 and said it was one of the oldest continuously operating bars in the neighborhood.

“I’m the seventh owner, and I don’t want to be the guy to see it go to the wall,” Spratt said last month.

Ramos said he had fronted a new CCTV system for the bar, stating that the old system proved inadequate in assisting with the NYPD investigation into the Oct. 3 break-in.

“We actually recently caught someone breaking the front window of the place with a brick,” Ramos said. “So we were able to supply that footage to the cops, and we also believe that that person was involved in the original attack.”

The GoFundMe has raised over $4,500 since Ramos launched it last month. He hopes that it will recoup most of the money lost in the two incidents and secure the bar’s future.

Anyone wishing to support Jar Bar can stop by for a drink between 3 p.m. and 3 a.m. Monday through Friday and from 12 noon until 3 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.