You are reading

Ghost car driver fleeing police in Astoria slams into pedestrians outside Jackson Heights restaurant: NYPD

A Long Islander fleeing police in Astoria rammed his ghost car into a group of pedestrians in front of The Queensboro in Jackson Heights, injuring two. Via Google Maps

Dec. 16, 2024 By Bill Parry

A stolen ghost-car driver was fleeing from police when he lost control of a white BMW and slammed into a group of four pedestrians in front of a popular Jackson Heights eatery early Sunday morning.

Two people were injured in the crash that occurred at around 1:42 a.m. in front of The Queensboro restaurant at 80-02 Northern Blvd.

The driver and his passenger fled the scene after the collision and were seen running southbound on 80th Street toward Roosevelt Avenue.

EMS responded to the scene and transported a 23-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman to Elmhurst Hospital, where they were listed in stable condition.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights spotted one of the men surrendering moments later and took him into custody.

Fabrice Bayonne, 32, of Washington Avenue in Amityville, was booked at the precinct, after it was determined that he was the passenger who fled the scene of the crash. The driver of the ghost car kept running and remains at large. Bayonne was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Monday on a complaint charging him with criminal possession of stolen property and other related crimes.

According to the criminal complaint, Bayonne was riding in the white BMW when a cop from the 114th Precinct observed it at the intersection of 31st Avenue and 48th Street. After running the Florida plates through an NYPD date base, records showed the license plate was not registered to any vehicle. The officer attempted to make a car stop, but the driver fled the scene at a high rate of speed, driving on the opposite side of the road and speeding through multiple red lights.

The officer next saw the white BMW after it crashed into the pedestrians and then collided with the FDNY call box on the corner. Investigators also determined that the BMW had been stolen in Huntington in late July.

An FDNY emergency call box on the corner stopped the BMW from crashing into the popular eatery. Photos Courtesy of Dudley Stewart

As FDNY workers replaced the emergency call box on Monday morning, Dudley Stewart, one of the owners of The Queensboro, told QNS he was thankful the collision occurred at that hour of the morning.

“Nobody was around at that time, so none of our employees or customers were here,” Stewart said. “And we are very fortunate the firebox was there to stop the BMW, or it would have surely slammed into our restaurant, which would have been a disaster this close to the holidays.”

Police said the BMW driver is still being sought, and the investigation remains ongoing. Bayonne’s bail was set at $10,000 cash and $30,000 bond, and he was ordered to return to court on Dec. 20.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.