You are reading

AOC launches fundraiser for victims of Los Angeles wildfires

Firefighters from the Los Angeles County Fire Department stand vigilant as they battle wildfires in Los Angeles on Jan. 10. The fires have destroyed thousands of homes and caused widespread damage across the city. (Photo by Lokman Vural Elibol/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Jan. 14, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

US Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has launched a fundraiser for the victims of the Los Angeles wildfires, raising more than $125,000 for two grassroots organizations working to provide relief services.

The blazes have consumed 63 square miles since Jan. 7, killing at least 24 people and displacing thousands of others by destroying at least 12,000 buildings. A further 23 people have been reported missing, while several utility companies have declared their drinking water unsafe until extensive testing is carried out.

Ocasio-Cortez, who represents New York’s 14th District, which covers parts of the Bronx and Queens, has launched a campaign to raise funds for two organizations “working round the clock” to provide emergency shelter and relief services to wildfire victims.

The fundraiser will support United Way of Greater Los Angeles, a nonprofit working with community partners to focus on longer-term recovery efforts, and World Central Kitchen’s Relief Team, supporting first responders and families impacted by wildfires in the Los Angeles area. World Central has mobilized teams across the region to provide immediate food relief with nutritious meals and water to people displaced by evacuation or fire.

All donations to the campaign will be evenly split between the two organizations, Ocasio-Cortez said.

Oliver Hidalgo-Wohlleben, campaign manager for Ocasio-Cortez said on Sunday that the campaign has raised more than $125,000 since it was launched last week. Ocasio-Cortez’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

Meanwhile, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has said that Queens “stands ready” to assist the victims of the wildfires in whatever way possible.

“The images, videos and stories of destruction and loss emerging from the Los Angeles area are nothing short of heartbreaking. These wildfires haven’t just burned homes and businesses — they’ve taken lives, destroyed livelihoods and shattered the dreams of countless people,” Richards said in a statement.

“As we watch news reports about the fires, it’s hard not to be reminded of the devastation other climate change-fueled disasters like hurricanes Sandy and Ida have brought to our borough in recent years.”

Officials close to Richards said the Borough President has been in direct personal contact with Lindsey Horvath, a member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, and has offered the assistance of the borough.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.