You are reading

Councilman Holden voices frustration with MTA’s response to letter requesting extended express bus service

Sep. 28, 2023 By Anthony Medina

Queens Councilman Robert Holden says the MTA constantly fails New Yorkers in response to the MTA’s letter to the councilman earlier this month.

Holden initially sent a letter to the MTA Chairman John Lieber, on Thursday, July, 27,  urging him to extend the QM24 and QM34 express bus service to 10 p.m. every day instead of 7:20 p.m.

Holden continued in his letter by stating the two bus schedules are severely restricting the residents in his district, whose primary means of travel is public transportation. Holden also suggested the MTA should offer a senior discount to older city residents, especially those who visit Manhattan for a wide array of healthcare options.

The MTA responded to Holden’s letter six weeks after his initial correspondence, on Thursday, Sept. 7. The MTA referred to a proposed final redesign plan, which will include modifications to local and express bus routes in Queens, and reassured the councilman that his office will be informed on the progress.

The proposed final plan of the Queens Bus Network Redesign project should be released later this year, and will be followed by another round of public outreach, where public hearings and final adjustments to the plan will be made, the MTA told QNS.

The MTA’s letter also by reminded the councilman senior citizens are given reduced fare prices for express bus trips during off-peak hours and that the express bus service is “a premium service” with no discounted fares given during the weekday between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. and from 3 to 7 p.m.

In a Facebook post, Holden said the MTA forgot that the QM24 and QM34 buses only operate during peak hours and again referenced congestion pricing as a scam.

Councilman Holden serves the neighborhoods of Glendale, Maspeth, Middle Village, Ridgewood, Woodhaven and Woodside.

Recent News

Beloved Howard Beach tapas restaurant Saffron will close its doors in March after 15 years in business

Feb. 22, 2024 By Athena Dawson

Beloved Howard Beach fixture Saffron has announced it will close its doors on Sunday, Mar. 24th. The Mediterranean restaurant- located at 161-50 Crossbay Blvd.- specializes in Spanish tapas and innovative fusion cuisine, featuring an array of vibrant seafood, veggie and meat tapas and various paella dishes. The family and chef owned restaurant boasts flamenco nights for diners to enjoy during select dinner services.