You are reading

Queens man charged with rape, assault, robbery in violent crime spree targeting spas: DA

Dec. 7, 2023 By Bill Parry

A South Ozone Park man was criminally charged for targeting four Queens spas in armed robberies in just over a week.

Shahab Usman, 40, of 118th Street, was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Dec. 6 on two separate complaints charging him with rape, assault, multiple robbery counts and weapons charges for a crime spree that left a spa customer paralyzed from a gunshot wound, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Thursday.

According to the charges, on the night of Saturday, Dec. 2, Usman entered a spa located at 113-19 Liberty Ave. at 8:39 p.m., and pulled out a firearm, beat a 57-year-old female employee, and stole $700 in cash and personal property. On the night of Monday, Dec. 4, Usman entered a spa located at 113-19 Jamaica Ave., where he allegedly raped a 45-year-old female employee at gunpoint. He then brandished the gun and stole cash from her and other employees before fleeing.

Later that same night, at 8:39 p.m., Usman entered another spa, located at 123-21 Jamaica Ave., where he displayed a firearm and held it to the head of a 45-year-old female employee while attempting to rape her. During the attack a single gunshot was fired, striking a 52-year-old man who was a customer in an adjacent room. EMS responded to the crime scene and rushed the victim to NYC Health + Hospitals/Queens in Jamaica in critical condition with a gunshot wound to his abdomen. The victim remains paralyzed from the waist down, according to the charges.

Usman’s crime spree began on the night of Sunday, Nov. 26, when he and an unknown partner entered Jamaica Massage Spa located at 185-09 Jamaica Ave. at around 11:10 p.m., when he pulled out a handgun and demanded cash and valuables from a 43-year-old man, a 45-year-old woman and a 49-year-old woman, the charges allege. All three victims’ phones were stolen along with approximately $5,000.

No injuries were reported in this incident, according to the NYPD. Usman’s accomplice that night remains at large.

South Ozone Park resident Shahab Usman was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court in connection with a vicious crime spree that targeted spas across Queens. Photo by Dean Moses

During his arraignment before Queens Criminal Court Judge Jessica Earle-Gargan, Usman was also charged with attempted sexual abuse and menacing. If convicted, Usman faces 25 years in prison on multiple counts.

“We will be prosecuting the man we believe to be the violent predator responsible for a string of robberies, assaults and sex crimes,” Katz said. “The NYPD’s investigation of these crimes fortunately led to the defendant’s arrest and we can now work to hold him accountable in court.”

Recent News

Jamaica man sentenced to five years for $4.5 million bank fraud and money laundering scheme

A Jamaica man was sentenced to five years in federal prison on Monday for his role in a wide-ranging bank fraud and money laundering conspiracy, which resulted in the misappropriation of approximately $4.5 million in victims funds.

Chinwendu Alisigwe, 38, was previously convicted following a trial in Manhattan federal court. According to the indictment and evidence offered at trial, from 2017 to 2020, Alisigwe used fake identifications to open 36 separate bank accounts at six different financial institutions, which he opened with more than a dozen fraudulent passports and other bogus identity documents bearing his photograph, but the names of other individuals.

16-year-old arrested after assault on 68-year-old grandmother heading to church in Jamaica Hills: NYPD

A 16-year-old Jamaica boy was arrested on Thursday and criminally charged in the vicious attack that left a 68-year-old grandmother in critical condition after the teen shoved her while she was heading to church in Jamaica Hills on Sunday morning.

Detectives from the 107th Precinct in Fresh Meadows apprehended the teenager in front of his residence on 89th Avenue in Jamaica following a four-day manhunt. The incident occurred as Irene Tahliambouris was on her way to morning mass on April 7.