You are reading

Teen downs in rough surf in the Rockaways after lifeguards cleared beach due to lightning: NYC Parks

Jul. 3, 2023 By Bill Parry

A teenager drowned off Beach 75th Street in the Averne section of the Rockaways on Sunday evening when he became trapped in the rough surf after lifeguards cleared the waters ahead of a thunderstorm, according to NYC Parks.

The 14-year-old boy went swimming just before 5 p.m. after lifeguards closed all of Rockaway Beach due to thunder and lightning, but Parks Enforcement Patrol was alerted of the missing boy at around 5:54 p.m. and raced to the scene. Lifeguards were able to locate the youngster and pulled him to the beach where they performed chest compressions.

“Our hearts go out to the young man’s family and friends following yesterday’s tragedy,” a NYC Parks spokesman said.

Park Enforcement Patrol raced to the scene immediately and the youngster was pulled from the surf but he died at St. John’s Episcopal Hospital.

Beachgoers at the Rockaways, and all city beaches, are being reminded that swimming is not allowed where lifeguards are not on duty. Red flags along the coast serve as a warning that swimming is prohibited.

Retired lifeguard Basia Lewandowski was visiting friends at the lifeguard clubhouse nearby when they were alerted.

“A woman came up to us and started yelling and gesturing that someone’s in the water, ” Lewandowski said. “We do what we call a diving line and so the lifeguards started diving. It was a miracle that we found his body.”

The beaches were reopened by Monday morning.Photo by Paul Frangipane

But the retired lifeguard knew the teen was in grave danger as he was pulled from the surf.

“I spent 15 years as a lifeguard on the beach here in the Rockaways where we would find people but I’ve never actually been involved in any part of anything where somebody could actually die,” Lewandowski told reporters. “He was under probably for like four or five minutes so getting him out was kind of hard. He looked dead, so you know, we did CPR and they took him up to the bus.”

Photo by Bill Parry

The FDNY responded to the scene at 5:57 and EMS transported the victim to St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:32 p.m. of cardiac or respiratory arrest, according to the FDNY.

“My heart goes out to the family and loved ones of the young man who lost his life this weekend,” Councilwoman Joann Ariola said. “This was a terrible tragedy that serves as a stark reminder of the power and unpredictability of the Atlantic Ocean. We need to keep working to promote ocean safety awareness in our schools and continue to teach young people about how to enter the ocean safely. We cannot undo the tragedy of this weekend, but we can use this as an opportunity to reflect and think about how we can avoid similar situations in the future.”

Recent News

Brooklyn man charged with manslaughter, DWI, for Astoria collision that killed his wife: DA

New details have emerged in the case against a Brooklyn man who allegedly crashed into several cars in Astoria last week while driving drunk, and then drove off in the wrecked vehicle to a residential block in Maspeth four miles away with a gravely injured passenger. The passenger turned out to be his wife, who later died, and the boozed driver told investigators that the couple was being followed when the collision occurred, according to the criminal complaint.

Rey Perez, 27, of Caton Avenue in Flatbush, was arraigned on Friday in Queens Criminal Court on charges of manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter and other crimes for speeding through stop signs last Thursday morning, crashing into another vehicle and two parked cars, before speeding from the scene to Maspeth where he sought help for his wife, 29-year-old Bridget Enriquez, who later succumbed to her injuries.

Woman sought for slashing cabbie during a robbery near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

Police are searching for a woman who attacked a cab driver in East Elmhurst during a robbery more than two weeks ago.

The incident occurred in the early morning hours of Sunday, Feb. 11 after the cabbie picked up the suspect in Manhattan. The driver told investigators that the woman initially wanted to be taken to LaGuardia Airport but instead decided to be dropped off  nearby in front of 89-00 23rd Ave. at around 2 a.m.