You are reading

FDNY extinguishes four-alarm fire at Glendale auto parts shop after battling the blaze for 12 hours

Mar. 8, 2023 By Bill Parry

It took more than 12 hours, but the FDNY has finally extinguished a four-alarm fire that broke out early Wednesday morning at an auto parts shop in Glendale, though the cause of the blaze is still under investigation.

A pair of firefighters were injured while operating at the location after units were called to Parts Authority, an auto parts store located at 89-40 Metropolitan Ave. at the intersection of Aubrey Avenue, just after 6 a.m. on March 8, according to FDNY. The fire was not extinguished until approximately 6:30 p.m., more than 12 hours after first responding to the blaze.

Explosions could be heard while firefighters battled a three-alarm fire at an auto parts store located at 89-40 Metropolitan Ave. in Glendale on Wednesday, March 8. (Photo by Lloyd Mitchell)

Several explosions could be heard emanating from the one-story commercial building alongside the Chase bank branch on Woodhaven Boulevard across from St. John Cemetery.

Explosions could be heard while firefighters battled a three-alarm fire at an auto repair shop located at 89-40 Metropolitan Ave. in Glendale on Wednesday, March 8. (Photo by Lloyd Mitchell)

A short time after their arrival, firefighters were withdrawn from the building and four tower ladders were deployed to knock down the intense fire and heavy smoke conditions that could be seen for miles. In all, 168 firefighters from 39 units were operating at the scene along with EMS personnel.

The two injured firefighters were transported to Elmhurst Hospital for treatment. Their injuries are considered minor, according to the FDNY.

“We’re still trying to gain access to small pockets of fire and we’ll be operating here for quite some time,” FDNY Assistant Chief Tom Currao said adding that reports of explosions are being investigated. “It is an auto parts store so there’s probably a lot of different materials and chemicals and there has yet to be a determination about the air yet so we’re closing off the area. We’re trying to keep any civilians away from the area as the lack of exposure to the hazardous smoke byproducts is recommended.”

He added that the building had collapsed and there was a partial collapse of the adjoining garage.

The fire was extinguished by 6:30 p.m., according to the FDNY. The cause of the fire is still under investigation

Additional reporting by Lloyd Mitchell.

Editor’s note: This story was updated at 7:45 p.m. on March 8.

Recent News

Southeast Queens man indicted for stealing more than $1.1M in pandemic loan fraud scheme: Feds

A Springfield Gardens man was arrested by federal agents on Thursday morning for allegedly stealing more than $1.1 million in a COVID-19 loan fraud scheme.

Terry Dor, 36, of 145th Road, was arraigned hours later in Brooklyn federal court on an eight-count indictment charging him with wire fraud, theft of public funds and money laundering in connection with a scheme to steal funds from the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) program that provided emergency funding to distressed businesses during the pandemic.

NYPD honors school crossing guard who was killed at dangerous Queens intersection in October

Fallen school crossing guard Krystyna Naprawa was posthumously promoted by the NYPD to the rank of community coordinator during a ceremony at One Police Plaza on Thursday attended by her family, friends and dozens of colleagues.

The 14-year veteran was killed while on duty on the morning of Oct. 20 after safely guiding children across a busy intersection on Woodhaven Boulevard and Atlantic Avenue in Woodhaven. Moments later, Naprawa was struck by a turning dump truck that proceeded to run her over. EMS pronounced her dead at the scene.