You are reading

Vacant car dealership catches fire in Jamaica

Aug. 17, 2023 By Lloyd Mitchell

A dilapidated vacant car dealership in Jamaica caught fire for a third time on Wednesday, Aug. 16.

Firefighters from Tower Ladder 127 and Engine company 298 were responding to a stuck elevator when they opened the firehouse doors to heavy fire and smoke venting from the show room area of the two-story building at 153-12 Hillside Ave. just before 10:30 p.m. Wednesday night. The fire was elevated to a third alarm by 10:49 p.m., according to FDNY.

In total, 138 firefighters battled the blaze with five hose lines to knock down the main body of fire.

A dilapidated vacant car dealership at 153-12 Hillside Ave. caught fire on Wednesday, Aug. 16. Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

On March 30, 2022, there was a four-alarm fire at the location. The fire was so intense that it sent several firefighters bailing-out of the second floor office window after burning papers cut off their egress as they were conducting primary searches.

Wednesday night’s fire was placed under control at 12:54 a.m. Thursday morning, according to FDNY.

Two firefighters were transported to NYC Health + Hospitals/Jacobi, according to the FDNY press office.

The fire marshal was on scene investigating the cause of this blaze.

An FDNY Fire Marshal on the scene of a three-alarm fire at 153-12 Hillside Ave. This is the third time the building has caught fire.

Recent News

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.