You are reading

13-Year-Old Boy Attacked at Flushing Playground, Told to “Go Back to Your Country”

The hateful attack took place inside Bowne Playground, located at 142-20 Barclay Ave., Wednesday (Google Maps)

March 18, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A 13-year-old boy – who was told to “go back to your country” by a group of teens in Flushing Wednesday – appears to be the latest victim of the anti-Asian hate crimes sweeping across the nation.

The boy was playing basketball inside Bowne Playground, located at 142-20 Barclay Ave., on Wednesday evening at around 6:30 p.m., when he got into an argument with three other teens, according to police.

The young boy was then shoved to the ground by one of the suspects, police said.

As the victim tried to get up, the teens repeatedly threw a basketball at him. The ball struck him multiple times in the head and face causing redness, swelling and pain, according to police.

The attackers shouted Anti-Asian statements to the boy, “Stupid, f—–g Chinese. Go back to your country.”

The boy was taken to Flushing Hospital and is listed in stable condition.

No arrests have been made and the incident is being investigated by the NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force.

The attack follows a number of anti-Asian racism incidents that have taken place in Queens, and in other places all over the country, over the past year—with the bigotry tied in part to the outbreak of COVID-19.

A candlelight vigil is being held in Sunnyside tonight in remembrance of Asian Americans who have been killed in bias attacks over the past year — including the victims of the Atlanta area shooting Tuesday night.

The event will take place at 46th Street and Queens Boulevard from 6:30 p.m. It is being organized by District 26 candidates Julie Won and Steve Raga, who are both Asian American.

email the author: [email protected]

One Comment

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Brooklyn man charged with manslaughter, DWI, for Astoria collision that killed his wife: DA

New details have emerged in the case against a Brooklyn man who allegedly crashed into several cars in Astoria last week while driving drunk, and then drove off in the wrecked vehicle to a residential block in Maspeth four miles away with a gravely injured passenger. The passenger turned out to be his wife, who later died, and the boozed driver told investigators that the couple was being followed when the collision occurred, according to the criminal complaint.

Rey Perez, 27, of Caton Avenue in Flatbush, was arraigned on Friday in Queens Criminal Court on charges of manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter and other crimes for speeding through stop signs last Thursday morning, crashing into another vehicle and two parked cars, before speeding from the scene to Maspeth where he sought help for his wife, 29-year-old Bridget Enriquez, who later succumbed to her injuries.

Woman sought for slashing cabbie during a robbery near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

Police are searching for a woman who attacked a cab driver in East Elmhurst during a robbery more than two weeks ago.

The incident occurred in the early morning hours of Sunday, Feb. 11 after the cabbie picked up the suspect in Manhattan. The driver told investigators that the woman initially wanted to be taken to LaGuardia Airport but instead decided to be dropped off  nearby in front of 89-00 23rd Ave. at around 2 a.m.