You are reading

19-Year-Old Faces 25 Years to Life in Prison for Stray-Bullet Killing of Gudelia Vallinas: DA

Police tape hangs from a signpost where the fatal shooting took place (Photo: Christina Santucci)

April 21, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A 19-year-old Woodside Houses resident faces 25 years to life in prison for the stray bullet killing of a 37-year-old mother-of-two last month.

Dajuan Williams was arraigned in Queens Supreme Court Tuesday for allegedly killing Gudelia Vallinas while she was walking near the corner of 48th Street and Broadway on March 12, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

Williams, of 50-15 Broadway, allegedly fired shots at a rival gang member at around 8:15 p.m. when a stray bullet fatally hit Vallinas in the head. Vallinas was out doing errands at Walgreens pharmacy at the time, near where she lived, when she was struck.

The 19-year-old has been charged with murder in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree.

Vallinas, who was from Mexico, was the mother to an 11-year-old son and a 9-year-old daughter. The killing shocked the community and was widely condemned Several rallies have taken place seeking justice for Vallinas and an end to local gun violence.

Several people held signs with the words “Justice for Gudelia Vallinas” at a rally shortly after her death (Photo: Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said the killing of Vallinas was needless.

“Two young children lost their mother due to this senseless shooting,” Katz said, adding that the community must “continue to sound the alarm” about the dangers of illegal firearms on the streets.

“This cycle of violence must stop and we must work diligently to get guns off our streets.”

According to the District Attorney’s Office, Williams had gotten into an apparent altercation with rival gang member Alexander Acevedo at the Woodside Houses NYCHA development moments before Vallinas was shot.

Acevedo, 25, fired at least one shot at Williams near the basketball court inside the development. The incident then spilled out on the street and Williams allegedly fired several shots down Broadway with one of those bullets allegedly striking Vallinas.

Acevedo, of 37th Street Astoria, was arraigned on April 13 and charged with criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment. He faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted and was ordered back to court on April 29.

Williams is due back in court on May 20.

Several people held signs demanding justice for the killing of Gudelia Vallinas at a protest on March 25 (Photo: Michael Dorgan, Queens Post)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.