You are reading

88-Year-Old Pedestrian Dies Three Days After Being Struck by Car in Flushing: NYPD

Northern Boulevard near 47th Street (Google Maps)

An 88-year-old pedestrian is dead after being struck by a driver on Northern Boulevard near 147th Street earlier this month (Google Maps)

Mar. 21, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

An 88-year-old pedestrian is dead after being struck by a car close to his Flushing home earlier this month, police announced Sunday.

Thomas Soong, of 35th Avenue, was hit by the driver of a 2018 Honda Fit while attempting to cross Northern Boulevard near 147th Street on March 11 at around 9:20 p.m., according to police. He died from his injuries three days later.

Soong was in an eastbound traffic lane when a 52-year-old driver plowed into him after pulling out of the parking lot at Butcher’s Cut Korean restaurant, located at 146-13 Northern Blvd. The driver was making a left turn onto Northern Boulevard heading eastbound, police said.

When police arrived on the scene the senior was lying on the road with head injuries, cops said.

The victim was transported by EMS to New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Queens in serious condition but succumbed to his injuries on March 14 at around 6 p.m.

The driver of the Honda remained at the scene after the collision, police said. No arrests have been made and the NYPD’s Highway Collision Investigation Squad is still investigating the incident.

Soong had lived alone in a three-story building he owned on the next block, according to the New York Daily News. He had no children.

Neighbors said the octogenarian was very active and volunteered at the nearby St. Andrews Avellino Catholic Church, located at 35-60 158th St., to help people vote, according to the publication.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.