You are reading

Homeless Man Indicted on Attempted Murder Charges for Savage Hammer Attack at Queens Plaza

A homeless man has been indicted for attacking a woman with a hammer at the Queens Plaza subway station last month (Photos: iStock and NYPD)

March 28, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A homeless man who is alleged to have brutally attacked a female city worker with a hammer at the Queens Plaza subway station last month has been charged with attempted murder and a slew of other crimes.

William Blount, 57, who resides at a Manhattan homeless shelter, was indicted by a grand jury and arraigned in Queens County Supreme Court Friday for allegedly bludgeoning the woman as many as 13 times over the head and back at an entrance to the Queens Plaza subway station, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

Blount has been charged with attempted murder in the first and second degree, assault, robbery, criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of stolen property.

He faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted.

Denise Alston, 57, from St. Albans, was charged in the same indictment with criminal possession of stolen property for allegedly using the victim’s credit cards the day after the attack. Alston faces 4 years in prison if convicted.

It is understood that Alston was not involved in the horrific hammer attack which took place on Feb. 24 at around 11:30 p.m.

Video of the violent incident sparked public outrage.

The footage allegedly shows Blount kicking victim Nina Rothschild, 58, in the back while she was walking down a flight of steps at the Queens Plaza subway station.

He then appears to pull out a hammer and hit Rothschild with the weapon around a dozen more times — striking her in the head and the back — while she clings helplessly to the arm rail.

Blount then allegedly grabs her bag and casually walks back up the steps before fleeing southbound on Queens Plaza South, police said.

Rothschild was transported by EMS to New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center with a fractured skull as well as lacerations to the head.

Rothschild was attacked on her way home from work. She was coming from the NYC Health Department, where she works as a senior health scientist, which is around the corner from the subway station.

Her bag contained $120 cash, two rings, two cell phones as well as debit cards and credit cards, according to police.

District Attorney Melinda Katz said Blount is accused of pouncing on a defenseless woman.

“This city relies on New Yorkers being able to take the subways in safety,” Katz said.

“This violence must stop.”

William Blount who is accused of bludgeoning Nina Rothschild with a hammer at the Queens Plaza subway station last month (NYPD)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.