You are reading

Four suspects wanted in alleged homophobic and racist mugging on 7 train in Woodside: NYPD

Police are searching for a group of suspects, pictured left, who launched a homophobic and racist attack on a man riding a 7 train in Woodside last month (Photos: suspects via NYPD and Tim Adams via Wiki Commons)

March 9, 2023 By Michael Dorgan

Police are searching for a group of suspects who allegedly carried out a homophobic and racist attack on a man riding a 7 train in Woodside last month.

The four suspects approached the 47-year-old victim — on a northbound train at the 61st Street-Woodside subway station on Feb. 17 at around 10:20 p.m. — before spewing anti-gay and anti-Hispanic obscenities at him, according to police.

The suspects, cops said, shouted at the man to “go back to his country” and to “go back to Colombia.”

The suspects then allegedly pushed, kicked and punched the victim before attempting to stab him with a knife, police said.

The suspects stole the victim’s cell phone from out of his hand and then attempted to snatch his wallet, but were unsuccessful, cops said. They then fled the train to destinations unknown.

The victim was transported to a local hospital and treated for laceration wounds, according to police.

Police said that the NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating the incident.

The NYPD released photos of the four suspects who are all described as males between 25 and 35 years of age with light to medium complexions.

The first suspect was last seen wearing a tan coat and a backpack, while the second suspect had a beard and wore glasses, white sneakers and a blue coat.

The third wanted assailant was last seen wearing a blue jacket, white shirt and gray dress pants with the fourth suspect — who had a goatee — wearing a gray coat and gray pants.

Anyone with information in regard to this incident is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the CrimeStoppers website at crimestoppers.nypdonline.org/ or on Twitter @NYPDTips.

All calls are strictly confidential.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.