You are reading

13-Story Building Planned to Go Up on Roosevelt Avenue, Multiple Stores Likely to be Demolished

The 13-story development planned for Roosevelt Avenue in Woodside (Rendering)

June 25, 2020 By Christian Murray

A developer plans to demolish at least eight stores on Roosevelt Avenue in Woodside and replace them with a 13-story, 213-unit apartment complex.

Woodside 63 Management LLC., which is led by the Astoria-based real estate firm EJ Stevens Group, is looking to develop a 210,000 square foot building on the south side of Roosevelt Avenue between 62nd and 63rd Streets.

The development would require the demolition of approximately 10 stores–from 62-02 through 62-26 Roosevelt Ave. The properties are currently occupied by an eclectic array of businesses– including a carpet store, laundromat, furniture store, restaurant, barber shop and 99 cent store.

The lots (62-02 through 62-26 Roosevelt Ave.) where the proposed development would go up. All the stores on these lots would be demolished.

The developers presented the plans to Community Board 2’s Land Use Committee last week and seek to get the block rezoned in order to move forward with the plan. They need the zone changed from a R6 and R6/C1-4 district– to a C4-4 district.

The 13-story building would also incorporate retail and office space—as well as space for non-profit arts groups.

The ground floor would be dedicated to retail, with office space on the second floor. The apartment units would be on floors three through 13. The plans call for 64 of the 213 dwelling units to be “affordable.”

The lower level space would for a fitness center and non profit groups. The sub-cellar would include 156 parking spaces, accessible from 63rd Street.

Stores that would be bulldozed to make way for development (Queens Post)

The developers, according to CB 2 Chair Lisa Deller, are looking to start the ULURP rezoning process later this year. The process typically takes six to eight months and requires community board review and a number of public hearings. The City Planning Commission and the Borough President also get to weigh in.

The approval, however, is ultimately determined by the city council, particularly the council person representing the district where the development is planned. Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, who represents this section of Roosevelt Avenue, did not respond for comment.

Deller said the developers say that the building would beautify the area and provide much needed affordable housing.

Deller, who is also head of the board’s Land Use Committee, said a big concern for the board is the size of the development and how it might overwhelm neighboring residential buildings. The proposed building, she said, is particularly large for that area of Roosevelt Avenue.

The developers, as part of a rezoning, are required by the city to provide affordable housing. They have four options to meet the city requirements, which pertain to the number of affordable units offered and income range.

Deller said the developers seek to set aside 30 percent of the 213 units– or 64 units– at 80 percent of the area median income level, which equates to around $62,000 for a family of three.

Deller said the Land Use Committee believes the 80 percent level is too high for the area and wants the affordable units to be offered at a lower income bracket.

For instance, the developers would be able to meet the city’s affordable housing requirement by setting aside 20 percent of the units as “affordable” but at a much lower income level.

The income level, under this option, would be set at 40 percent of the area median income, or around $31,000 a year for a household of three.

A representative of Woodside 63 Management LLC was unavailable to provide further details.

Stores likely to be demolished to make way for development (Queen Post)

Stores likely to be Bulldozed to make way for development (Queens Post)

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Little Guy

Would they have to temporarily relocate and then accommodate, at the same rents and locations, the businesses that would otherwise be displaced?

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.