You are reading

NYPD raids suspected brothel in Elmhurst as community demands crackdown on Roosevelt Avenue crime

The NYPD raided an illegal brothel in Elmhurst last week after a Roosevelt Avenue community organization called for greater enforcement along the corridor. Photos courtesy of Hiram Monserrate

Sept. 25, 2024 By Bill Parry

Officers from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst, alongside the NYPD Human Trafficking Squad, raided a suspected brothel at 40-19 Case St. on Wednesday evening, Sept. 18, as part of an ongoing investigation into illegal activities in the area.

They arrested a 21-year-old woman from Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, charging her with prostitution. Two men, a 37-year-old from Elmhurst and a 32-year-old from East Elmhurst, were also arrested and charged with patronizing prostitution, according to the police.

The raid came nearly two weeks after the Let’s Improve Roosevelt Ave. coalition—comprised of community leaders and local business owners—held a rally at 90-20 Elmhurst Ave., calling for stronger enforcement against organized crime, drug rings, human trafficking, prostitution, shoplifting syndicates, illegal marijuana shops, and the hundreds of unlicensed street vendors along Roosevelt Avenue, from Jackson Heights to Corona.

The Let’s Improve Roosevelt Ave. coalition is holding its second community rally this Sunday afternoon at the 90th Street Triangle, across from the illegal brothel raided by the NYPD last week.

Photos courtesy of Hiram Monserrate

Democratic District Leader Hiram Monserrate, who organized the initial rally, was present during the Case Street raid, where the brothel had been openly operating in a residential area. Monserrate, a former state senator and council member, has been attempting to rebuild his political career after his 2009 conviction for misdemeanor assault and a subsequent prison sentence for steering public funds into his campaign. Despite several unsuccessful bids for public office, Monserrate has regained political influence through his East Elmhurst Corona Democratic Club.

“When I represented this community as a council member, we never saw what we are seeing today,” Monserrate said following the Case Street raid. “This crime wave on Roosevelt Avenue is unprecedented and will require a strong and sustained response. We look forward to working with the NYPD and all stakeholders for a safer and cleaner community.”

Sunday’s rally, titled “Roosevelt Avenue in Crisis: Demand Change Now!” is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the 90th Street Triangle. Ramon Ramirez, a leader in the Let’s Improve Roosevelt Ave. coalition, emphasized that the current state of lawlessness cannot be resolved through sporadic police sweeps.

“Our coalition is clear: we need the police to continue doing their jobs and making arrests when warranted,” Ramirez said after the Case Street raid. “We as a community support the police.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.