You are reading

Gianaris announces $6 million in funding for new intensive care unit at Mount Sinai Queens

Photo from the office of Senator Michael Gianaris

Oct. 9, 2024 By Shane O’Brien

State Sen. Mike Gianaris has secured $6 million in funding for a new intensive care unit at Mount Sinai Queens, expanding critical care services at the hospital to meet the growing needs of the local community.

Gianaris joined Mount Sinai Queens President Dr. David Reich and Mount Sinai Queens Executive Director Dr. Cameron Hernandez to announce the funding on Monday, Oct. 7, stating that the allocation will help to transform the hospital, located at 25-10 30th Ave.

The funding will increase the number of intensive care beds at Mount Sinai Queens from eight to 21, including seven beds for intermediate care services serving as an in-between space for general care and the ICU. Intermediate services are also often used to support the needs of older adults and patients with complex conditions or severe disabilities.

Photo from the office of Senator Michael Gianaris

The investment will also fund a procedural room to support ICU patients as needed while enhancing the delivery of highly specialized, life-saving care for those facing serious illnesses and injuries.

The expansion of Mount Sinai’s ICU services addresses the growing demand for ICU beds, as approximately 120 patients were transferred from Mount Sinai Queens to other facilities in 2023 due to a shortage of available ICU beds.

Officials at the hospital said the funding will help its team of critical care nurses, patient care associates, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, social workers, case managers and other specialists provide optimal care for more patients and maximize capacity.

Gianaris said the expansion of ICU services at the hospital will help prevent future transfers of Queens patients to Manhattan due to a lack of ICU capacity.

“Western Queens residents should not have to cross the river into Manhattan to get quality healthcare,” Gianaris said in a statement. “The funding I secured will transform the care provided in western Queens and ensure our neighbors can receive good care closer to home.”

Mike Gianaris speaks at the announcement of $6 million in funding for a new intensive care unit at Mount Sinai Queens. Photo: Mike Gianaris YouTube

Senator Gianaris speaks at the announcement of $6 million in funding for a new intensive care unit at Mount Sinai Queens. Photo: Mike Gianaris Flickr.

Gianaris said the expansion of the ICU at Mount Sinai will provide patients with a higher quality of care, including advanced monitoring for patients recovering from complex surgeries. It will also improve the continuity of care that patients receive and prevent patients from incurring additional expenses related to ambulance transfers, Gianaris said.

Furthermore, critical care beds will be fully equipped with telemonitors that enable care teams to manage a large number of ICU patients and exchange information electronically in real time.

Hernandez said the expansion of ICU services had been a long-time goal for Mount Sinai and said the hospital will now be able to offer a higher quality of care to its patients.

“Mount Sinai Queens can continue to serve on its promise to bring innovative, cutting-edge medical technology to our community and provide the top quality care residents need and deserve,” Hernandez said in a statement.

Photo from the office of Senator Michael Gianaris

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.