You are reading

Woodside fruit vendor stabbed multiple times after dispute; suspect in custody: NYPD

Photo shared by the office of AM Raga

Nov. 4, 2024 By Barbara Russo-Lennon 

A popular fruit vendor in Woodside was stabbed multiple times Sunday evening, police said.

The incident happened around 5:45 p.m. on Nov. 3 at a neighborhood fruit stand near the corner of 59th Street and Roosevelt Avenue.

According to law enforcement sources, the 35-year-old victim was involved in a “verbal dispute” with the suspect, a 47-year-old man, though it is unclear right now what the argument was about.

The war of words escalated, authorities said, when the suspect took out a knife and repeatedly stabbed the victim throughout his body.

Officers from the 108th Precinct arrived at the scene after receiving a 911 call about the incident. EMS brought the victim to a local hospital, where he is in stable condition.

Meanwhile, the suspect was taken into custody for further questioning. Charges against the individual are pending the results of the ongoing probe.

Staff members from the office of Assembly member Steven Raga, who represents the district, were on site following the incident and shared a video of the scene with the Queens Post.

Anyone with information regarding the incident can call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS (for Spanish, dial 888-57-PISTA). You can also submit tips online at crimestoppers.nypdonline.org, or on X (formerly Twitter) @NYPDTips. All calls and messages are kept confidential.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Southeast Queens man gets 25 years to life in prison for murdering his older brother in 2022: DA

A Jamaica man was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison Wednesday for stabbing his older brother to death in July 2022 and eluding law enforcement as a fugitive for months until he was tracked down in Florida and extradited back to Queens to face justice.

Henry Gutierrez, 32, of Jamaica Avenue, was found guilty of murder in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon on Feb. 10 following a jury trial.

Cold case breakthrough: Trio indicted in South Jamaica teen’s fatal stabbing over false pregnancy claim

A Queens grand jury has indicted three individuals on charges of murder, conspiracy, and other crimes in connection with the cold case stabbing death of 17-year-old Talasia Cuffie.

Cuffie was fatally attacked after attending a 2019 memorial basketball game honoring Aamir Griffin, a 14-year-old who had been shot and killed at the Baisley Park Houses. Prosecutors allege that the defendants lured Cuffie to a secluded block in South Jamaica, where she was stabbed and left bleeding on the street for more than 20 minutes before she was discovered.