You are reading

Couple pleads guilty to attempted murder of neighbor over parking spot in Woodside: DA

On the eve of their trial, a married couple from Woodside, Atrtuo Cuevas and Daisy Barrera, pleaded guilty to attempted murder for beating a neighbor in a parking spot dispute in 2023. QNS/file

Jan. 9, 2025 By Bill Parry

A Woodside couple pleaded guilty Tuesday in Queens Supreme Court to attempted murder for an attack on their neighbor that rose to a level of violence rarely seen in the neighborhood that borders Sunnyside.

Arturo Cuevas, 32, and his wife, Daisy Barrera, 28, of 48th St., admitted they battered and stabbed 28-year-old Wilson Chabla Lliguicotta so viciously that video of the bloody assault went viral on social media, which was viewed by more than 20 million people in the days following the brutal assault. The couple had previously fought with the victim over parking in the neighborhood just south of Queens Boulevard at the northwest corner of Calvary Cemetery.

“A 28-year-old man was senselessly stabbed with a knife and beaten with a metal bat by the defendants over a parking dispute,” Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said. “Video of the attack, which was captured by a neighbor, shocked the city.”

According to the indictment and investigation, on March 17, 2023, at around 3:40 p.m., Cuevas and Barrera were in front of the Lliguicota’s residence on 47th Avenue, between 48th Street and 49th Street, when the victim pulled up in his car and parked. The couple lived around the block and had a dispute over a parking space with Lliguicota nearly a year earlier.

The couple, who had weapons, approached Lliguicota’s vehicle and attacked him. Cuevas stabbed him in the body with a folding knife, while Barrera used an aluminum baseball bat to strike him in the head repeatedly. After the assailants knocked him to the pavement, the bloody attack continued, with Cuevas stomping on the victim’s prone body several times while his wife swung away, striking the victim several times in his head.

Lliguicota’s girlfriend, 22-year-old Delia Chimbay, saw the grisly scene on the street below from her partner’s apartment window and raced outside to intervene. Barrera smashed her in the arm with the bat and resumed her attack on Lliguicota with her husband. The altercation ended when police from the 108th Precinct in Long Island City arrived at the crime scene and Cuevas and Barrera retreated to their 48th Street apartment, where they were taken into custody following a 20-minute standoff.

EMS arrived at the location and rushed both victims to Elmhurst Hospital. Lliguicota had four stab wounds to his body and one to his face and required emergency surgery for severe brain trauma, removal of part of his skull, and the inducement of a medical coma to manage his extended care and rehabilitation needs.

Cuevas and Barrera pleaded guilty to attempted second-degree murder before Supreme Court Justice Mary L. Bejarano on Tuesday and face 14 years in prison. They were ordered to return to court on Jan. 22 for sentencing.

“On the eve of trial, defendants Arturo Cuevas and Daisy Barrera pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of Wilson Chabla Lliguicota,” Katz said. “Our thoughts are with Mr. Lliguicota and his family as he continues to recover from the injuries he sustained.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

A hidden gem in Sunnyside: Bistro Punta Sal blends Peruvian and Italian flavors

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

On a quiet street in Sunnyside, Bistro Punta Sal has its French doors wide open, letting the late August breeze emanate throughout the space, which is ornate with flowers, paintings and an array of tables and chairs for intimate dinners with friends or a romantic date night. The cozy restaurant, located at 45-51 46th St., is a hidden gem in the neighborhood that is just waiting to be discovered, as the sights and aromas of the restaurant invite guests in. 

Off-duty paramedic spots South Richmond Hill two-alarm house fire that injures nine firefighters, two civilians on Friday morning: FDNY

Nine firefighters were injured, two of them seriously, and two civilians sustained minor injuries during a two-alarm house fire in South Richmond Hill on Friday morning, but it could have been worse if not for the actions of an off-duty veteran EMT.

Paramedic Craig Biscuiti was driving to work when he noticed a column of thick black smoke and heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story home at 95-36 111th St. just before 7:10 a.m.

Astoria doctor sentenced to more than two decades in prison for rape and sexual abuse: DA

An Astoria doctor was sentenced to 24 years in prison on Thursday in Queens Supreme Court for raping unconscious acquaintances and sexually abusing hospital patients.

Dr. Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, of Broadway, pleaded guilty on June 30 to four counts of rape in the first degree and three counts of sexual abuse in the first degree in satisfaction of the consolidated indictments against him. He additionally entered an Alford plea to one count of sexual abuse. The defendant — a former gastroenterologist at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital — recorded the abuse of his unconscious victims with his cell phone in both his Astoria apartment and at the hospital.