Oct. 20, 2022 By Christian Murray
An Astoria man has been charged with criminally negligent homicide for allegedly killing a 5-year-old boy with his pickup truck in East Elmhurst last month.
Xavier Carchipulla, 40, of 33rd Street, was arraigned today in Queens criminal court on a seven-count indictment charging him with leaving the scene of an incident without reporting/death, criminally negligent homicide, and a host of other charges. He allegedly plowed his white pickup truck into 5-year-old Jonathan Martinez at around 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 1.
Carchipulla, who was driving a 2018 Dodge Ram without a license, is accused of hitting Martinez as the boy was attempting to cross 100th Street – near the intersection of McIntosh Street — with his father and two brothers.
Martinez was holding his father’s hand at the time of the deadly incident. His father pulled him back as he saw the Dodge turning—but it was too late.
Carchipulla, who was travelling northbound on Mcintosh Street, struck the 5-year-old while making a southbound turn onto 100th Street. He then fled the scene — as Martinez’s family looked on in horror. The family lived about two blocks away from where the boy was struck.
Martinez suffered severe trauma to his head and torso but could not be saved.
Carchipulla, who works as a construction worker, has been arrested on at least two occasions for drunk driving, police said.
“The defendant’s alleged criminal negligence while behind the wheel has brought absolute devastation to a family that continues to mourn their young child,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz in a statement. “Driving is a privilege; it is not a right. To drive without a license is to place your own wishes over the needs of other people’s safety, leading to heartbreaking results. “
Carchipulla faces up to 7 years in prison if convicted. He was ordered to reappear in court on Nov. 16.