You are reading

Astoria Resident Who Allegedly Tagged 46 Cars Busted on Graffiti Charges

A car was one of 20 vandalized on 35th Street between Broadway and 31st Avenue in March (Photo: Christina Santucci)

May 31, 2021 By Christina Santucci

Police said they have arrested a 57-year-old man and charged him with spray painting dozens of cars in Astoria over the past few months.

Astoria resident Herberto Torres was hit with 46 counts of making graffiti, criminal mischief and possession of a graffiti instrument, the NYPD said.

Cops had been investigating four separate graffiti sprees involving 65 vehicles and dating back more than two months. Torres was charged with 46 of those graffiti incidents, and the rest remain under investigation, according to the NYPD.

Torres allegedly tagged multiple cars with the letter “A” — which is a nickname he uses, authorities and police sources said.

Twenty cars were spray painted between 8:30 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. March 26 on 35th Street between 31st Avenue and Broadway, according to the NYPD.

An additional 20 vehicles were vandalized on 27th Street between 23rd Avenue and Ditmars Boulevard May 18 between 4 a.m. and 9 a.m., and the next day between 9 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. 17 more vehicles were tagged on 33rd Street between 23rd Avenue and Ditmars Boulevard. A mix of white and red-colored spray paint was used in the May 19 spree.

Another eight vehicles were spray painted between 7:35 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. May 22 on 32nd Street between 34th Avenue and Broadway, authorities said.

Police arrested Torres just after midnight Friday morning. He was given a desk appearance ticket and released, the New York Post reported.

Sources told the Post that police tracked the accused graffiti bandit to an auto body shop where he worked after a customer’s car was allegedly used in connection with the crimes.

Torres was previously arrested in October and charged with spray painting more than a dozen vehicles in Jackson Heights with the phrases “BLM” or “AOC,” police said. Court records show that his next court appearance on those charges is in August.

A spokesperson for the NYPD said Sunday that similar graffiti with the letter “A” discovered on a house and car on 63rd Street near 51st Street in Woodside May 19 was still under investigation.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Anonymous

Illegitimate auto shops pay “workers” to damage vehicles nearby to bring in customers.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.


The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Disgraced former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran arrested on child porn charges

Former Queens Council Member Dan Halloran, who was convicted in 2014 for his role in two bribery and corruption schemes and served five years in federal prison, is in trouble with the law again.

Halloran was arrested at Miami International Airport on Saturday, March 29, and charged with possessing child pornography and transporting child pornography after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers inspected his Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple iPad 6th Generation tablet and discovered several videos of suspected child pornography located in a hidden folder album on the phone’s photos application, according to the criminal complaint filed in the Southern District of Florida.

Southeast Queens man convicted of triple murder in 2022 stabbing rampage that killed girlfriend, her son and cousin: DA

A Jamaica man was convicted at trial Tuesday of murder in the first degree and other crimes for the vicious stabbing deaths of his girlfriend, her son and a visiting cousin during a bloody rampage in June 2022.

Travis Blake, 31, of 155th Street, faces up to life in prison at sentencing following the three-and-a-half-week-long trial. The jury deliberated for just two hours before reaching the guilty verdict in Queens Supreme Court.

Op-ed: The crisis facing immigrant gender-based violence survivors

April 2, 2025 By Assembly Member Jessica González-Rojas, Zeinab Eyega and Yasmeen Hamza

As advocates who have dedicated our careers to achieving gender equity and justice, and as the representative of and service providers for some of the most culturally diverse districts in the country, we know firsthand the importance of ensuring that survivors of gender-based violence receive support that speaks to their specific needs. In Queens, where nearly 300 languages and dialects are spoken and we face the third-highest rate of reported domestic violence in New York State, the call for culturally specific services is urgent—and it is time for us to act.