You are reading

Bayside inferno leaves homeowner dead: FDNY

Apr. 16, 2023 By Dean Moses and Lloyd Mitchell

FDNY officials are investigating a tragic three-alarm fire that left one person dead in Bayside on Sunday morning, department officials confirmed.

According to FDNY sources, the inferno broke out and swiftly swept through a two-story home on 36th Avenue in Bayside at around 5:39 a.m. on April 16. Sources familiar with the investigation stated that an array of objects cluttered the hallways and rooms of the private house, making it difficult for first responders to gain entry into the building.

Three units and over 100 firefighters responded to the blaze, which reportedly engulfed the entire house. Once officials battled their way into the home, the litter of objects apparently obstructed entry and maneuverability for first responders.

Firefighters train a hose-line during a fatal three alarm fire ar 218-01 36 Avenue in Bayside, Queens on Sunday, April, 16,2023. Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

Firefighters were reportedly obstructed inside the home. Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

“There is a lot of thick black smoke, you are going in and you really can’t see anything,” Battalion Chief Brian Deery said. “You are going in, you are searching, you are bouncing into things. It is hard to maneuver and search, so it kind of delays the search.”

Firefighters made their way through near pitch-black conditions and ultimately discovered the homeowner dead in the bathroom. The person’s identity has not yet been released, and their exact cause of death is under investigation by the fire marshal’s office.

“We had hose lines stretched on the first floor, second floor and rear,” Chief Deery said. “There is a lot of heavy fire damage.”

FDNY sources said the fire was extinguished at 7:22 a.m., leaving the house as a charred husk and revealing just how cluttered the residence was with objects strewn haphazardly about.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Over 135 firefighters operated at a fatal three alarm fire at 218-01 36 Avenue. (Photo by Lloyd Mitchell)

Recent News

Jamaica man sentenced to five years for $4.5 million bank fraud and money laundering scheme

A Jamaica man was sentenced to five years in federal prison on Monday for his role in a wide-ranging bank fraud and money laundering conspiracy, which resulted in the misappropriation of approximately $4.5 million in victims funds.

Chinwendu Alisigwe, 38, was previously convicted following a trial in Manhattan federal court. According to the indictment and evidence offered at trial, from 2017 to 2020, Alisigwe used fake identifications to open 36 separate bank accounts at six different financial institutions, which he opened with more than a dozen fraudulent passports and other bogus identity documents bearing his photograph, but the names of other individuals.

16-year-old arrested after assault on 68-year-old grandmother heading to church in Jamaica Hills: NYPD

A 16-year-old Jamaica boy was arrested on Thursday and criminally charged in the vicious attack that left a 68-year-old grandmother in critical condition after the teen shoved her while she was heading to church in Jamaica Hills on Sunday morning.

Detectives from the 107th Precinct in Fresh Meadows apprehended the teenager in front of his residence on 89th Avenue in Jamaica following a four-day manhunt. The incident occurred as Irene Tahliambouris was on her way to morning mass on April 7.

Cop injured by glass bottle thrown from 7 train station on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

An on-duty NYPD police officer was injured while standing on a foot post when he was struck by a glass bottle that was thrown from the 103rd Street-Corona Plaza, 7 train station above Roosevelt Avenue early Monday morning.

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst reported that the officer was in uniform standing in front of 103-28 Roosevelt Ave. just before 2 a.m., when a man threw the bottle from the Flushing-bound platform. It struck the officer’s head, causing a laceration and a concussion.